Fagsandbooze

statement review

Hiya. We are meeting at school next thursday with somone from the lea, head, senco etc to review 9yr old sons statement. He has only had the statement since November. He currently has 15 hours of support. When he started at this school in november, they only agreed to have him on a part time basis so he attends mornings only 9 till 12. They are expecting the lea to provide full time support, they will not have him in school full time without it. I can't imagine that the lea will just agree to this. It doesn't seem fair that the school hasn't even given my son a chance to see how he would cope in the afternoon without support.

I wish someone would consider the childs feelings in these situations. He has behaved amazingly well since he's been there and he's gone from being depressed and hating school (old school) to an extremely happy child who loves school and wants more than anything to go to all day, this must be really hard for him to understand, all his efforts must seem pointless. :(

I have no idea what to say at this review. Should i back up the schools request for more hours or do i demand full time education regardess. Isn't it ridiculous the way you have to battle for everything.

Sorry if i'm rambling, any ideas or advice would be great.

F&B I think you are right that the LEA are unlikely to fund more support if the school have not been able to show how he manages in the afternoon. He sounds like he is making good progress but this is probably because of the support he has. It has been pointed out to me many times that it is not our problem, the funding of support and it is up to the school and LEA to slog it out :devil: I think (just my opinion) that you need to say what you want for your son that you want him back in full time education but that he will need a high level of support to be able to do this. Good luck

hi,

Sorry I can't offer any advice except that we're in a similar situation. However, I understand it is more difficult for your son since he is 9 yrs old. My ds (4 and 1/2) started school in January and the school will only take him part-time 9 -12 and he has 15 hours support. In a couple of weeks I have his statement review, where we are going to ask for more hours as he won't manage without more support. I think it is good that the school is in agreement that ds needs more hours. However, I doubt the LEA will give it. I've just heard of another parent in a similar situation where the LEA refused.

If the LEA refused can you not ask for the support to be split so that he has 2 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon so that he can attend full-time?

pim

Sorry F&B but I can't remember why your son is only attending school part time. My understanding is that all children are entitled to a full time education. Part time arrangements can be considered and operated but they are to suit the needs of the child only, not the needs of the school or the LEA.

If your child is capable of attending school full time and wants to then my understanding is that the LEA must provide for this. The school cannot refuse to have him and the support issue is their problem. If they do otherwise, it is, in my opinion, an illegal exclusion. I would think about exactly what you want and give IPSEA a phone before the meeting and talk it through with them. They will point you in the right direction and give you advice on how to handle your case.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Edited by Tez

By refusing to allow your son to attend afternoon sessions due to his ASD I would say they are likely to be in breach of the DDA. What I can say for certain is they are operating an illegal exclusion policy. There is a pinned thread on this forum which I put in a lot of information and links in which may well be of help to you. Have a read through and if there is anything in particular you need clarification on let me know and I'll see what I can find.

This is from the second paragraph of the thread:

The headteacher may exclude a pupil for one or more fixed periods of not exceeding 45 school days in any one school year.

an afternoon is one session.

HTH

Edited by phasmid

Hi, thanks for all your replies. I have spoken to IPSEA they were very nice but they couldn't really tell me anything that I didn't already know (thanks to this forum!). They gave me a direct number to get back to them if I have no joy.

I'm going to insist on a full time education, hopefully they'll give some more support too.

If it turned out that this has been an unlawful exclusion who do I complain to and is there any point?

The reason he only attends part time is because his previous school wanted to do a managed transfer, he was in no fit state at the time to be dumped in a new school (he wasn't coping without a statement and this led him to attack a child in his class) I wouldn't agree to the transfer so I had a choice, permanant exclusion or home ed so I kept him at home and got the statement before I put him in his present school, he was out of school for 8 months.

I think he's missed out on far too much education already. He's still top of the class academically though so that's something to be proud of. :dance: