Sign in to follow this  
bid

1:1 LSA...

Hi all,

Just wondered if there are any other 1:1 LSAs out there??

I'm covering longterm sick leave for an LSA, working with a little girl who is severely Autistic.

I'm really enjoying the job, but I hadn't been prepared for how lonely it can be.

I work 1:1 with her for nearly 3 hours each morning, and I don't get any break unless I nip to the loo when another TA takes over.

When we go outside for playtime, none of the other Staff come and talk to me, and often they even forget to bring me a cuppa! :o I can't really go over to them, as I'm led by what my little girl wants to do.

I went on a Training day on ASD in the Foundation Stage a couple of weeks ago, and another LSA mentioned the same thing.

Anyone else found this at all??

Bid :o

Bid,

this isn't on! You are entitled to a break during the morning too. In fact most of us TAs don't get paid for breaktimes anyway - check your contract! At my school any 1-1 TA takes their break either before or after breaktime, on a weekly basis there is one day a week that cannot be done due to other stuff 1 TA has to do, so other TAs do it (all know the child and the child knows them) on a rota basis.

The other side of this is snobbery! Sounds like they are somewhat cliquey to me. Not nice, you shouldn't be treated like this by fellow staff. Trouble is I bet you don't feel you can say anything anout it to them cos your new and only a 'cover'. Well it's their loss! The shame of it is I know many 1-1 TAs feel the same, a bit to one side of other TAs who are a bit to one side and under the teachers...

Ah yes, dont ya just lurve the smell of staffroom politics in the mornin' !?!

Thanks, Phas >:D<<'>

It was a bit of a shock, because in my other job (in a residential special school) I'm used to working as a team, and there's usually someone to take over if it all gets too much. We also really support each other, with great camaraderie...

Bid :bat:

Bid - i agree with Phas, this isn't on... If you want a wee you should do it in your own time... ;)

Seriously, I'd take this up in the staffroom... what sort of example are they setting the other kids by leaving this girl to play in isolation? Not only should they be supporting YOU, but more importantly the little girl. They CAN'T expect her to play on the other kids terms, so at the very least they should be TRYING to involve the other kids on hers :angry::angry::angry:

Expalin it nicely, then go for the jugular :devil::devil:

L&P

BD :D

Bads >:D<<'>

Involving the other kids is my job, I guess...and there's one game she likes to play with the others, which we do...a lot!! :wacko:

But then she will want to run off and spin, which is fine and I join in :hypno::sick: or try and climb things :shame: or pull fluff off my scarf! :lol:

The other kids come and talk to me, it's the Staff who don't!! :o:lol:

Not sure about the break thing :unsure:

Bid :bat:

We have had lots of comments from supply teachers and SLTs etc who visit us about how our staffroom is always full of smiles and happy people (the head drugs us and the smiles are stapled on!!). But to us thats just the way it is...sure there are times when the pecking order is obvious but it isn't like that often. Teamwork is the order of the day!

Shame all schools aren't like this.

Check out the breaks with the head or SENCo.

Involving the other kids isn't YOUR job - it should be everybody's. Your job is to do what you are doing (and ###### well from the sounds of it) - taking her lead and letting her access the world on her terms... you can't do that AND look after the rest of the playground too.

as for the wee breaks - take as many as you want... tell 'em baddad said it was alright ;):lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

Bid,

Never mind the wee break - forgetting to give you a cuppa is the worst sin! Take your own flask and make a great show of pouring your own. :devil:

It's great you're enjoying it though - and the child is lucky to have you. >:D<<'>

K xx

Hi Bid,

Ive been there and have several tshirts to prove it.

Schools are infamous for treating 1:1 s as though they are from the planet Zarg. In my first job the class LSA treated me appallingly, ignored me, bitched behind my back etc. The teacher was fine, in fact we became close friends which annoyed the LSA even more.

I just clung on in there, worked with my child and gradually became accepted within school. To be honest most people in schools are so busy they probably dont give you a second thought and if its anything like my place new people are never formally introduced, they simply appear over night!. Im sure if you ask for a cup of tea some kind person will make it for you.

I worked 1:1 for about 5 years with 4 different children, very rewarding, sometimes fun but very hard work.

Good luck

I'd guess this is more of a problem in mainstream schools.

At out boys special school there is at least one LSA in every class, and in a sprinkling of 1:1's and LSA's probably outnumber teachers rather than being one of the small number of people who aren't 'proper' teachers.

When J was i mainstream I did get the impression the teachers tended to 'look down' a bit on his 1:1. They were quite happy to have her there but she was never 'one of them' if you see what I mean.

Simon

Hi Bid,

I too remember LorryW coming into school. ( Actually she just walked in, claimed "her" child - who had moved up from the infants, and settled down!) The best thing was that the head didn't even know Lorry was coming but it had in fact been arranged by head of infants to give child a safe transition! So of course we all talked about her - what else could we do???

Seriously though being a 1:1 can be the loneliest job in the world especially if you are not there full time and take different breaks. I'm not sure of the law but it's my understanding that you have to work 4hours before you are entitled to a break. But maybe that is not true (the TUC helpline are very good for that sort of info) I too have been there and been in a classroom standing like a lemon while all around me chatted and got on. When you do say "I don't know where XXXX is or where would I find XXX" Then just being met with disparaging looks of "everybody knows that...." I found just sticking with it, making a cup of tea and saying very loudly "would any one else like one while I'm making" Or, and this is my trump card, making some cakes. Then at least some might come and talk if only to say thank you! Stick with it, love Kat

Hi Bid,

I too remember LorryW coming into school. ( Actually she just walked in, claimed "her" child - who had moved up from the infants, and settled down!) The best thing was that the head didn't even know Lorry was coming but it had in fact been arranged by head of infants to give child a safe transition! So of course we all talked about her - what else could we do???

Hello Katkin.

Id forgotten about my (cough) unorthodox arrival. Its a bit sad that Im still in the same school 10 years later.

Cheers, Lorainexx

Thanks everyone >:D<<'>

I put my nose in the staff room today :o

The room fell silent...

Bid

pianist stopped pianistinging...

think you need to be talking to the head- sounds like this 'us/them' thing has been allowed to get out of hand...

If they haven't been asked to include, and you haven't felt as if they've wanted you to, chances are both sides are confused and drawing territory lines...

That's the problem with these sorts of situations, the 'lines' are drawn by accident but then become ingrained..

Very, very best

BD >:D<<'>

Just a thought Bid, perhaps they are in awe of you. You actually know your stuff and the little girl is responding and they feel threatened.

Their problem not yours....just make sure you get your tea!

How long are you going to be there?

Loraine