lil_me

Fragile X Test

My son has to have this on Thursday

He HATES needles

I don't know what to do and can only pressume he will deal with it badly

Any ideas :crying:

My son had this test a while ago, and we were all dreading it!

My son sat on my lap and the nurse and me tried holding him steady whilst my husband fed him sweeties and the doctor took the blood, it was over in a flash and after the doctor had finished my son stopped screaming and was straight after his dad for more sweeties. He was fine afterwards, it was just a few seconds of screaming whilst the blood was being taken, but i think that was more due to the fact he was being held so still!

Dont worry its not as bad as you think it will be.

I don't know how hold your son is, but can they use 'magic cream'? It's put on an hour before the needle with a clear sticky patch over it and it totally numbs the area. It worked for my kids but, of course your son would have to be able to tolerate having that on him for an hour.

If you think it would work, ring the clinic beforehand to ask so you can get in early.

When the needle went in the nurses distracted my son and he didn't notice a thing.

Good luck

If you go to your gp/nurse you can get a script for the stuff that makes the childs arm numb (thats a laugh because you have to put it on an hour before and wrap it in clingfilm on both arms) - I never thought we'd manage it but we did. We also asked to have it done in the paediatrics dept of the hospital so the staff there were used to getting tricky blood tests. Other than that it took hubbie and nurse to hold him but was over in a flash (I was the only person that cried!)

Good luck - dont be afraid to phone ahead and check there is someone confident and experienced to take the tests because it makes all the difference

Clingfilm/Sticky things on hand, I think he'd have as much of a hissy fit if I put that on as he will the needle. A paed he has never met and will not have to meet again is doing the test, CAHMS lady arranged this so he doesn't end up hating her for it as he has come to like her a bit now. I am thinking if I got this cream I would have to tell him what is happening, and I wouldn't get him in the door if I tell him.

The last time he had a needle was when he woke up after having dental surgery and he started screaming immediately pulling on it.

I think I will try the sweets bribe idea. Well fruit flakes as he has them instead.

Edited by lil_me

Hi Lil :)

H had it done a month ago and was super anxious for 3 days :wacko: but we explain about the magic cream, especialy his sister who had more blood tests and drips that anybody of her age I have ever met, well at the hospital the nurse was lovely and very good :thumbs: he did not feel anything and did not realised the needle was already in, the nurse is really to congratulate as H is like my Mum and it is nearly impossible to see his veins. :(

H came out of the hospital very proud to have been so brave!!!! and with a new "power ranger transformer" :rolleyes::whistle:

Hope it will all go well take care. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Malika.

My son also had a fragile x test and we were worried sick.magic cream and a loveley dr helped.Our son didnt bat an eyelid apparently.

I chose not to be present when they took the blood.I know it sounds like im a terrible mother but i thought hes more likeley to kick of if im there in the room with him as he might pick up on my anixiety.

Good luck with it.

Paula that doesn't soun like you are being horrible at all. I was considering doing the same, but he will hate me for taking him there anyway, so Dad is on stand by at home so he will communicate with someone as last time I took him just for dental treatment he wouldn't communicate with me for 2 days.

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Lill Me,

I just posted a note about Fragile X today, didnt see yours, how did it go, just wondering what your doctor explained to you about it.

Regards

Hailey

It's in the morning. I'm scared stiff on what his reaction is going to be :crying:

I know its a test for fragile x which is a chromosone disorder which can present itself as Autism. I still think that this test should be done before a diagnosis of ASD/AS is given.

Hi Lil >:D<<'>

Hope everything will go well. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

If you want to know more about fragile X have a look at this link there is a lot to read, I agree with you that Fragile X test should be made before confirmation of AS ASD Dx or at least very soon after I had to fight for more than 18 months before getting the test for H, the test was made at the begining of January and I am still waiting for an answer!!

http://www.fragilex.org/html/home.shtml

Keep us posted All the best.

Malika.

He had the test this morning, he was being very brave then the needle went in and he started thrashing about screaming. Eventually got the sample. About 6 weeks for results but they think it will be ok as there are usually facial features associated with Fragile X. He said he hates me for taking him now :crying: