Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frangipani

Son having DNA for Fragile X test

Guest hallyscomet

:) Hi,

I know there has been a lot of talk on Fragile X testing here in the past, but I don't think I took it all in. I asked my sons Paediatrician about it yesterday, and he said it is a really good test for all parents with children with Autism to get their children to have. Just doing a DNA blood test they are able to get a lot more refined information about your childs diagnosis. If they have any mental retardation, and if so, how severe it is, in order to help with medication and understanding your childs level of ability disability.

We are going to have this test done next week, the good thing is that it is free -they bulk bill :)

Malika, I know you have put forward a lot of info on this. Have you or anyone had the DNA test, just wondering what their doctors were able to tell them after doing this test.

We really need some fine tuning for my son, and I hope this will give us some more assistance in supporting him with his disability. I guess we are going to find out exactly how severe it is. From what his doctor was saying. This will help enormously.

Any of you had this done recently "the latest DNA" type test??? Would love to hear from you or PM if you prefer. Just wondering what your doctor was able to do with this information, besides just the results itself.

He has ordered DNA tests for 1. Studies to exclude Fragile X and 2. Chromosone studies

http://www.fragilex.org/html/autism.htm

Found this website

But from what my son's doctor tried to explain is the parents male and female DNA chromosomes are at a certain level in a NT child but Fragile X or Autism these cells just keep on multiplying and multiplying from 600 to 3000 the high and more they multiply the level of mental retardation increases. So they can figure this out from a DNA test as described above. This could be a breakthrough for my son.

So thanks Malika for bringing this up, I asked my sons doctor about it and he is keen to do this for my son :)

Hailey

Logan has had the fragile X tests and loads of other chromosome tests but they all were normal - I'm not sure what they did with the information except rule out other things - will have to check with them what all they found out - we were bombarded with so much information at the time its hard to take it all in!

Lynne x