Hectorshouse

Annual Review Question

A friend of mine who is the guardian of an ASD/ADHD 9 year old boy has just had her letter from the LEA regarding their AR, the LEA have agreed to maintain the statement, but further down the letter they have also added that they are agreeing to the support requested by the school for lunchtime assistance ...

Does this then mean that his current support at 0.6 fte has now been increased and as such this new support is not on the current statement of SEN and it will then have to be amended? and if it is to be amended aren't they meant to issue a new draft statement?

HHxx

If any amendment is made to the provision in a statement they are supposed to go through the consultation process whereby objections etc can be raised. So, yes, they are supposed to issue a new draft statement.

Thanks Phas, I thought I was right with this but wanted to double check, I think they are trying to get around issuing a new statement and putting the new provision on there as it will then take the statement above the 0.6 fte threshold, this is going to be the new trigger point for statements and those that are 0.6 or below are (possibly) going to be ceased to maintain as part of DCC's new SEN criteria due to be introduced in 2007.

I will advise my friend to write to the LEA (after I have dug out the relevant COP bits etc) and ask them for a copy of the new draft statement which include the increased provision.

HHxx

Look up Sect 8:126 of the CoP. It states that:

Where the LEA propose to amend a statement following an anual review or at any other time, whether to change the name of the school in part 4 or for any other reason, they MUST write to the childs parents informing them of their right to make any representation about the statement and the amnedments within 15 days of the receipt of that propsal and to request a meeting with an officer of the LEA.

The next few paragraphs are also applicable:

8:127

8:128

8:129

and in particular:

8:131

Hope that's useful

Thanks phas, your a star as always, was just wading my way through COP and found them as well, hopefully I can get this sorted asap for my friend.

Thanks, HHxx

Sorry Gita ... 0.6fte is DCC's banding jargon for support ... basicially 0.6 means 60% ... can't remember what the fte bit is ... therefore the LEA fund support up to this level, which basically means for this child 60% of the day he has a TA any extra provision for the rest of the day will be met from the school budget or that the child doesn't need support for the rest of the day.

My son T gets 0.8fte + lunch time assistance, this is considered exceptional support and is basically full time support during the school day, the next level of support would be 1.0 which would mean special school placement ...

HTH ... probably as clear as mud!

HHxx