rxv520

help please!

I am a Masters student who is looking at eating behaviours/ feeding problems that are apparent in children with autism/ asperger?s syndrome. I would be extremely grateful for any information on the types of feeding habits of your children. For instance, avoiding trying new foods or avoidance of certain textures of foods.

I do not need to know any personal information about either you or your child, although an indication of age will be helpful.

Many thanks for your time :D

Hi ya,

My AS son is 12 but as a young child he was a very difficult eater, he used to enjoy eating butternut squash and carrots so much that he started to turn orange he refused other soild food. He still has his favourites foods every morning I have to make him a toasty with cheese. If I use anything other than mild chedder he is able to tell and wont eat it...

His sense of taste and smell is so good, if anything is different he will not even try it, food must not touch on the plate either. He will not really try different things and enjoys food that is bland and well done/over done...

We are going through a problem at the moment with him over eating.

From the age of 18 months til about 4 and a half, my son started by getting faddy, finished up food phobic. Had to eat same breakfast, same lunch, same tea, all white or off white food, done in a certain way, absolutely no crust on bread, cut in squares not triangles, certain plate etc. If a pea finished up on the plate then nothing on the plate would get eaten.

Found out he was sensitive to fluoride in toothpaste, (we don't live in a fluoridated water supply area). When we changed brand, within a few days he started to improve. Started eating a wide range of foods. At 8 he eats just about anything - except peas which he leaves on the plate :D

My son is 10 dx ASD.Upon feeding as a baby he was very sick and would bring back his feed very easily.When we tried weaning he hated lumpy food and stil would only have pureed food at 3.Today he has a limited diet.Everything is covered in tomato ketchup and vinegar.His worst food ever would be mashed potato.He has a very strong sense of smell and is regularly sick or retches if he smells anything remotely offensive.He dislikes to see gloopy food or spills of food, for instance the sight of his baby brothers mucky bib makes him sick.He eats, any type of cereal, pepperoni pizza, sausage , meat, chips, no veg, no fruit only bananas in the form of a smoothie, yogurt, rice, pasta,cake.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have read about sensitivity of smell, taste and textures but am also very interested in learning about other behaviours such as possible preferences of utensils/ plates used, insistence on sameness etc

My research is focussed upon the different types of eating behaviours and as i wish my research to be representative of behaviours found, i am very grateful for any information from other parents too!

Hi,

If my son goes to a party, or any event where the kids sit and have something to eat and drink,

he always insists on having a blue cup and plate (he hasn't got blue ones at home though), he'll even

barter with the other kids if theirs is blue and he wants it!

He does this every single time.

Brook

Sorry, forgot to add he is seven and dx ASD.

Edited by Brook

Hi ya,

I forgot to add that my son does not like to eat with other people if possible I give him his dinner first and then we have ours, he does not like the look of other peoples food and it also makes him want to throw up. He even eats alone at school in the resources centre.... No real attachment to sameness for plates ect just layout of food and what he is eating.

justamom

I have a six year old. He's just getting ready to go through the process of being dianosed. He has always been a fussy eater. His diet is very small. It took about 4 years of introducing hot dogs before he finally tried and said he liked it. Usually everything I offer him he says he hates. If I convince him to take a bite and try it the world comes to an end. He has a breakdown for about 20 minutes about how horrible it is, it's hurting his mouth, he'll start gagging, etc. I buy him school lunches, which he doesn't eat. I've tried packing lunch, but he would just come home with most of it. He will eat dinner with us, but getting him to sit still and convincing him to eat is the challenge. He gets very distracted when it's time to eat with all of us at the table. He does eat with all of us, just feels sometimes like it takes a lot of work. Drinking things is almost as interesting. He will only drink chocolate milk. Nothing else. We never run out of chocolate syrup. We did once, never again. LoL He will eat three different cereal, the rest no way. For meats, only chicken nuggets, hot dogs and pepperoni. Absolutly can't get him to eat vegetables. That is a war everynight. Well more like a bargaining match. I try to offer dessert as an incentive. Even if it's only two or three bites. He will eat spaghetti only if it is dry. If anything is on it forget it. He has no problem with most candy ( haven't met a child yet that has), fruits are sometimes hard. He only likes a few, but after having them for a few months wont touch them for at least double that. Then i have to reconvince him to try them again. He loves almost any kind of crackers or pretzels. And I'm afraid that's it. So most days it's basically the same foods for him with small veriations. Except at dinner. I offer at least one thing I know he will eat then I try to persuade him to try what we are having. (most times it doesn't work, small occasions he'll at least try, but ends in a meltdown) Hope this helped.

Wendy

Issues with food my ASD son has, hypo and hypersensitive all at the same time, he's 7 now

Textures

Tastes

Smells

How easy it is to eat as struggles with cutlery

Eating with others

Foods touching each other

Specific foods being served with what they are mean't to go with (as far has he's concerned)

Refusal to try new things as doesn't like change

Packed lunch same bag same contents daily

:whistle: Thats a few of them.

If you want any more in depth info drop me a pm/email

Edited by lil_me