Sign in to follow this  
Brook

It takes ages to get out...

Hi all,

My son seven ASD, cannot leave the house until everything is just so, he screams about certain jumpers,

jackets, and if the tongues of his trainers are slightly not in the centre he goes hysterical and keeps looking

at them the whole time he is walking along the road, he says his jacket makes him look like a 'fat b*****d'

it doesn't at all, he is an average size kid, but makes these things up because he's not happy with what he's

wearing but cant really tell me why.

Just taking my other son to nursery turns into a complete nightmare, my ASD son shouts because his hat is not on right, his jumper makes him look like a man. :blink:

But I think alot of it is, he'd rather stay indoors all day in his pyjamas, as soon as we return home he says

can I put my pyjamas on now, I think he then feels relaxed because he hasn't got to go out and face the

pressures.

Having said this, we took our kids to the zoo today and apart from a few minor upsets (ie.. wouldn't go to

the toilet in the cafe because he wouldn't know what happened when he came back) we had a really nice

time, not too many people and it didn't stink. :lol:

He does seem to become anxious at the start of going out, he is sensitive to certain materials, but I think this

upset he has over his clothes and shoes etc.. stem from his apprehension of going out, sometimes the

anxiety will carry on whilst out, but others, like today, he calms down and enjoys himself, I suppose it

depends on the environment he is in.

Brook

My sons sensitive to certain materials, and the noise some coats make, but like you said it is difficult finding out what bothers them about each item.

Pleased to hear you managed to get out, and that the zoo wasn't stinky, usually my sons first issue with anywhere with animals :rolleyes:

my son is same ,can take an hour at least to actually get through the door at times. :crying: using visual board to make him quicker but he moans at every thing,every little thing,which makes me snap sometimes because he pays lot attention to detail things instead of actually looking where hes stood or walking :blink:

my son will not wear certain materials. He hates shoes and labels they drive him mental. He had the least clothes possible and only wears certain coats. (He likes the feel of the fleece material).

My son is hypersensitive this is called sensory integration dysfunction. There are several good books on it. A lot of children will also be sensitive to what textures they have in there mouth and have hypersensitive hearing. So please think that this may be part of your sons diability

Jen

Thanks for your replies,

Yes, he is sensitive to certain materials, he too likes to wear his fleece, because of what he says about

certain items of clothing, I'm never sure if it's because of the feeling they give him on his skin or

whether it is that he doesn't like the look of them. :unsure:

Here is a few examples of how he describes things:

His Jacket: 'makes me look like a fat b*****d.

His jumper: 'makes me look like a man'.

His shoes: 'dont make the right sound when he walks'.

His hat: 'looks all googly' (btw these are all his words).

He has to wear his gloves when he goes out, if we forget them we have to go home and get

them wherever we are.

When I insisted he wear his jacket the other day, he spent the whole time shouting that people

were looking at him thinking he was a fat b******d. (he is just under 4 stone, so I think he has used

these words to mean something else).

He used to be a no clothes toddler, would strip off the minute you got in the door and would forever

be undressed, but he now does not like being bare.

He is most comfortable in his jeans and long sleeved top (a real struggle to wear T shirts).

Just before leaving home he starts to panic and scream about everything he has got on, but some days

seem worse than others.

Brook

When I insisted he wear his jacket the other day, he spent the whole time shouting that people

were looking at him thinking he was a fat b******d. (he is just under 4 stone, so I think he has used

these words to mean something else).

Firstly I'm quite suprised he's bothered about what others think, something my ASD boy has no idea or care over at all. So that is a good thing, if you know what I mean. If he thinks it makes him look fat maybe it is too bulky, my ASD boy hates anything bulky at all.

Hi lil-me,

The funny thing is the jacket I bought him is a springtime one, it hasn't even got any padding in it. :blink:

Actually, the more I write on here about it, I am begining to think that he is so set in what he wears that

he says anything to get out of wearing anything else. IYKWIM.

Yeah, your right, it is interesting that he says others are looking at him.

It's all a little confusing sometimes isn't it. :rolleyes:

I'll keep delving.

But I do still think the apprehension of going out is playing a big part in this.

Brook :D

Edited by Brook

Me again,

I've just remembered something, when he was in school I bought him a really nice proper school coat,

he came home one day saying he couldn't wear it anymore because it was 'frumpy skirty', now I knew

that those words were definitely not his and he had been teased about his coat.

It was actually a really nice coat and not frumpy at all!

I'm wondering if the coat/jacket thing has anything to do with that.

Brook

Oh no I couldn't change what he wears, my son has his school coat which has to be only used for school, and his home coat, thats it. I did buy him a lightweight waterproof 'for holidays' I said, so he'll only wear that in the holidays or when we are away. My fault I suppose for that one, same as if I say we're buying holiday/summer clothes, thats when he'll wear them, and thats it.

New shoes are also a nightmare, I bought him new ones 2 weeks ago, he threw them out of the door, then in the bin, then hid them, so I've had to hide his old ones (he thinks they are in the bin but I kept them as a safety net) or he wouldn't wear the new ones. Looked for ages for the same type but a size bigger :crying: discontinued. Even tho they are way too small he didn't want to part with them.

These could be comments he has heard, my son was only ever bothered when someone called him an 'elephant' as he said 'Mikey is boy not elephant, elephant big noses'

Edited by lil_me

lil-me,

I can remember a pair of spiderman pyjamas my son had, they were absolutely in shreds and too

small for him, but he insisted he wore them, we eventually got him to wear a new pair but kept the

old ones just in case. :lol::lol:

I can remember feeling totally embarrased if anyone came round when he had his tatty jamas on. :huh:

Brook

Edited by Brook