tracey

Any advice

Have posted a couple of times this month regarding my daughter not being in school

for various reasons

Took the advice from a couple of you on hear and contacted the EWO as I'd only delt with

senco up to now, the EWO is due in a couple of hours and Im not quite sure what to expect

my daughter is not statemented so whether I will be offered any home tutoring I dont know

Its holidays here at the moment and today my daughter is saying yes I will go back and give

it a go but come monday morning it'll be a different story for a start school totally stresses her

out problems are endless

Have a feeling part time schooling is going to be mentioned unfortuanatly this would not work

as she hates stand out in any way

Any advice

Tracey

I contacted the EWO because my child was only attending school part time. They asked about the childs and why was the child not attending school and what I had done about it.

As I had contacted everyone in writing and there were concerns that if my child attended school when his LSA was not there, there was an increased possibility that he would be excluded.

She documented the case and was very helpful. She was one of the few people who was actually helpful.

Jen

Hope it goes ok for you. My daughter has recently been offered flexi-schooling which we're hoping is going to be helpful!!!

I know I was worried sick when we had our meeting at the school and lots of people said you don't have to agree anything there and then - ask to think about it.

Good luck..

Tracey,

If you have any particular views as to how to deal with the situation, then put them to the EWO but otherwise ask her for suggestions and guidance. Listen and evaluate but say if you think something won't work.

I hope that the EWO is able to help and has some suggestions that don't include the part-time schooling that you are anti.However, if this is the only option put to you, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. I understand that your daughter doesn't want to stand out, but as things are she is standing out anyway. A was really reluctant to try part time schooling for this same reason but he was becoming so ill that it was that or take him out of school completely. We, together with the school and his doctors, took the decision that regardless of his views on this subject it was in his best interests to go part time only. When he actually got over the dislike of others commenting on it, he actually realised the benefits and said we'd made the right choice. He had alot of support from adults within the school who dealt with some of the more offensive comments about his attendance and after a few days it was just accepted that A only did certain lessons and he really didn't stand out. Ultimately, it wasn't enough for A and he is now educated entirely at home, but I still feel that part time schooling was the right thing to try first, despite A's reluctance.

Thanks for all replies

I can understand the point made regarding part time schooling and sometimes things work

when you dont expect them to.

At the moment I just seem to be at a loss as its not just school sometimes its hard for her

to go anywhere if panic sets in.

Which is why Im hoping some home tutoring may be offered although I dont want her to be isolated

Well EWO will be here soon will post in on how we got on

Tracey

An update to say how we've gone on

EWO just left after been here over an hour

my daughter sat with us for some of the time but would not open

up at all to talk about her problems she just sat there looking bored

We discussed home tuition which would only be possible if I got the

consultant who sees my daughter to write a letter to the EWO

stating difficulties of getting to school then it would be thought about

Flexi schooling was not mentioned as I think she thought the same problems would

be there.

To be honest I think within the first 10 mins of meeting my daughter she thought

she was just being stubborn and explained to her the fact that parents sometimes have

to go to court if their children do not go to school.

I did explain certain issues and the problems my daughter has.

The next stage then is to phone the consultant tomorrow to get a letter

sent through to the EWO stating difficulties and go from there.

Tracey

Good luck with getting the letter from the consultant. It would be best if the Consultant said your daughter has been unfit to attend school since (whenever she last attended) due to her anxieities rather than just explaining the difficulties that you have getting her to school, then it would be a clear case of home tuition due to sickness and you'll have already gone past the 15 school day waiting period.

Keep us informed.

Tez has made a good point about getting the letter to cover the period from the first day she refused to attend up until the day they write the letter. However don't be to surprised if they take the 15 days as starting from the date the letter was sent - not saying they will, but I wouldn't put it past them.

just something I forgot to mention in my last post when I discused home tuition with

EWO she clearly stated if we did get it (through a letter from consultant) it would

only be a tempory thing ie. termly is this correct??

I havent got intouch with consultant yet as my daughter is adamant shes going back on monday

shes thinking very positive at the moment what monday will bring is anyones guess

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

LEAs do see home tuition as a temporary thing, but the LEA will have to provide some tuition for all the period that your daughter is signed off school sick by the Consultant and this could be years not just a term.

It is also possible to continue receiving home tuition for a longer period without a sick note if an EP or similar expert assesses that it is the only way to meet your daughter's needs. Generally speaking it is best to get a statement that stipulates this under those circumstances.

Try and think what you want for your daughter long term and then try discussing it with the school to see whether it would be possible to work towards that. If you are looking for permanent home tuition at the expense of the LEA you will need to show that your daughter's needs cannot be met any other way.

Tez thanks for your reply

Like I said at the moment my daughter is feeling confident enough to go back

to school on monday

I would love her to go back so that shes mixing but I also want the best for her happiness

If things fall through with school I will be contacting her consultant for a letter to EWO

Last resort really I should be feeling positive about her going back but weve got to this

stage many times before only for panic to take over and were back to square 1

Tracey