loulou

having bad withdrawal symptoms..........

Hi,

I have been on Sertraline for nearly 6 months now and although they have made me feel better, they keep me awake really badly. I decided to stop them about 3 weeks ago, as i'd rather feel down than totally knackered all the time. I've reduced them slowly and stopped completely a week ago.

Since Sunday, i've been feeling light headed and dizzy. It's got worse every day and today i feel totally out of it. My head is pounding, i feel sick, dizzy and shivery. Every time i move my head, the room spins.

I don't want to ring my GP b/c she'll tell me off for stopping the tablets. It says on the leaflet that these withdrawal symptoms can happen, but it doesn't say for how long.

Does anyone know anything about this, or have any experience of it? I'm struggling to look after Kai b/c i feel so bad.

Loulou x :crying:

loulou,

My husband has been on and off Prozac over the years which is another SSRI and has similar withdrawal symptoms even when weaned off them by the GP. His withdrawal symptoms are usually severe for about a week and he is advised not to drive whilst he's like this and gradually disappear totally over about a month.

Loulou >:D<<'> . Please do ring your GP, I think she's right this is not the best way to come off anti'ds. I appreciate you have decided you're ready to come off and just want to get on with it but the way you're doing it will prob mean you'll just end up feeling so bad you'll have to start all over again with going back on the. You shouldn't feel pressured to come off them either, if you are having unwanted side effects then might be best to talk to your GP about trying a differant antidepressant for a while, then when you really feel ready to come off them draw up a plan with her about how to do it without these horrible withdrawal symtoms.

Take care of yourself, let us know how you get on >:D<<'> .

Luv Witsend.

I would strongly suggest it will be worth the ear-bashing your GP may give you to seek their advice on this. Your symptoms sound pretty awful and I think your GP would rather address them for you sooner than later. Depression is a strange beast and comming off medication really should be done with back-up.

i am also on these tablets and have been on them twice before , i also came off them by myself once but never had any symptoms coming off them ,but i suspect if they take a month to get in your system then they must take the same to come out , but if i was you, ring nhs helpline and see what they say if you don't want to talk to gp or could it be anxiety coming back hope this helps lainey

I was on seroxat paroxeteine for a few years and i had terrible problems coming off them including hallucinations and anxiety that was even worse than before i went on them, I also had the probs you mentioned and it took a long time to adjust, the doctors told me to stay on them but I was determined to come off them and it took me a long and i weaned off much slower than they said i started by doing 1 tab one day and half the next for a month and then half a tab each day for a month and then half tab every other day and a quarter a tab every day until eventually i weaned myself off it took about 6 months, I can't advise you to do the same as that would be irresponsible as you may have have a bad reaction so discuss it with your doctor but slow withdrawal is the key.

im same as florrie

i was also on them and weaned myself off when i was pregnant and it was awfull-it felt like electric shocks everytime i moved-i totally couldnt leave house and had to go bed i was so scared.in all it lasted well over a couple weeks till it had gone.

you should tell your gp really i had to have a call out visit as my heart was racing really bad with it.

i couldnt say if i felt really down after stopping them as i was 3 months pregnant too so had all those hoermones going round which i think stopped me going on a downer.

after son was born i went straight back on another kind which i like better than seroxat

It sounds like you have not taken enough time to allow your body to get use to the lower dose before stopping them. You do need to speak to your GP

Jen

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. I think i have come off the tablets too quickly. Still feeling dizzy, but no way as bad as it was. I feel like i'm drunk and the room keeps spinning.

Apparently it can take about 10 days for the symptoms to go. I'll just have to be a dizzy cow for a bit longer :lol: . Good excuse not to go to the gym.

Loulou x

Hi Loulou,

How are you feeling? >:D<<'>

I was on prozac for around 18 months and decided to come off them myself. I didn't reduce them and against the advice of my GP i did it anyway.

The side effects were as you described and lasted for around 10 days the worst being the first few days. I was quite shocked at how rubbish i felt (and a little scared) although they say they're not addictive it certainley felt like it!

What bothered me was quite obviously i wasn't asking for more repeat prescriptions anymore and no-one asked me any questions, considering the GP was so insistent i should speak to her first before stopping them. That in itself is a bit of a worry although i guess they're not obliged to and just assume if your having any problems with withdrawl you'll get in touch. I hate it when people make assumptions.

Anyway, i hope you stop spinning and you feel better soon, >:D<<'> >:D<<'> But on the same note, if you feel you need to take them even for a bit longer theres no shame in it. You must do what you feel is right for you. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

It might help to cut some tablets up into halves and quaters, so you can cut down more slowly. Your doctor could prescribe a low-dose tablet which will make it easier to reduce the dose in small graduations. If this medication is available in a liquid form, you can reduce it by even smaller amounts.

But if you're feeling better than you were, it might be worth sticking with it.

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Loulou,

Thinking of you, hope all goes well, hope you are feeling better soon.

Sending you lots of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

They should have an emoticon for flowers :flowers: or :balloons:

I would also send you lots of those too, to cheer you up.

Take care.

Love

Hailey

x >:D<<'>

Edited by hallyscomet

Hi Loulou

I was like florrie and on seroxat. When I thought I was well I came off them myself but it hit me again like a sledge hammer. I was told by GP coming off them myself too quick can lead to the boomerang affect.

Eventually I weaned myself off by taking smaller doses over a long period. I felt much calmer on seroxat although I did sweat a lot but my dh said it was like living with a zombie.

Hope you are feeling better today take care

Tilly