Sign in to follow this  
madmooch

Autistic Savant

There's a program on channel 5 on monday at 9pm about the man that Rain Man was based on.

Should be interesting :D He can memorise 98% of what he reads :o and read a page in 10 seconds :o

Clare

Thanks for posting about that, it has been on before I think but I missed it, fingers crossed I remember this time as I'm a right scatter brain :lol:

Raymond Babbit was based on four different people, but the fella this programme is about sounds like Savant Kim Peek.

I can read a an A4 paper full of text in roughly ten seconds yet not actually comprehend what it says though I can remember quite a lot of it. The slower I read, the better my comprehension because I basically read sentences extremely fast: faster than I am able to grab them and unravel them, so I read them repeatedly over and over again very quickly to hold them in my head until I understand them before moving on.

If I could memorise and unravel more text at a time I could mimic Kim Peek's form of Hyperlexia, but I don't put the practice in because I don't know how much practice I would need to do to improve. This seems to prevent me doing a lot of things- I don't jog to get fit because I don't know beforehand how much jogging for how long I need to do to get fit, so I can't make myself do it.