Sign in to follow this  
av16

Teeth

Hi, this may sound a bit odd but do any of you have problems with your teeth? I have 4 molars that have literally fallen apart because of the effort of keeping calm- I grit my teeth.

I am so glad to have found this forum, as I read the posts I keep thinking that could be my son (or me dealing with him).

This is a busy week for us, a visit to the paediatrician on Weds to hopefully get a long awaited diagnosis and on Friday at school to meet various people to set up a pastoral support plan. Any info on that if anyone has any would be good.

Thanks to you all for being there.

Hi,

Last week was a very stressful week for us all, I suddenly developed this pain in my jaw and shooting up

towards my ear, I thought I was going to get a toothache or something, it lasted about four days,

I couldn't open my mouth very wide (very unlike me. :P ) my shoulders were sooooo tense that I felt

like I had been bruised, I then realised I was sooo tense I was clenching my teeth, it was also worse

in the mornings so I think I was also clenching them in my sleep.

The pain in my jaw has completely gone now as I have made a conscious effort not to clench my teeth,

but my shoulders are still as tense as hell, but then again they always are.

Dont know if this is the sort of thing you are asking about. :unsure:

but thought I'd mention it anyway. :D

Brook

Like Rainbow qeen, I've had loss of hair (bald patch on back of my head - luckily my hair is long so you can't see it!) but no grinding teeth (yet!!). I do feel as if I'm dropping to bits some times and go through bouts of drinking rather too much of the old venos, (hiccup).

So....Just call me bald eagle.... :blink::blink::lol: Hiccup. Apart from that, I'm fine... Apart from that I'm fine... Apart from that I'm fine... Apart from that, I'm fine....Fine...Fine...Fine....ine....ine...ine...e...e...e...

Hi

Yes, I have the same problem with clenching my teeth when stressed. I can usually catch myself during the day, but its night times that do the damage (broken two teeth so far). I went to the dentist and got myself fitted with a tooth guard (looks like the sort of thing that boxers wear), which would probably help matters if I actually wore it at night! So that is one route, if you don't mind paying (I think it was about ?50), and looking like a boxer when you go to bed.

The side effect of all the teeth clenching at night is that I wake up with headaches. I went to see my GP who said that I needed to deal with the cause of my stress - my AS son was trashing his desk at that point. So that was pointless.

I went to see a cranial osteopath, and she said that my jaw was out of alignment (quite often this is the case apparently with us nightime teeth clenchers, as what we are trying to do is sort it out). I've been to see her a couple of times, and the headaches have much reduced, and the soreness that I used to feel around my jaw in the mornings has gone. Its too eraly to say whether or not that is the answer for me, but it seems to have helped so far.

Is there any way of replacing chipped and abraded enamel? I have several badly worn teeth and recently chipped a piece of enamel off two front teeth whilst under stress. My dentist claims that you can't replace tooth enamel in the same way as bath enamel. The white filling material isn't strong enough for edging and porcelain crowns are only worthwhile if most of the visible tooth is missing. I'm sure some enamel rebuilding chemical was developed a few years ago.

Av16,

No advice about the teeth I'm afraid - I tend to feel tension in my neck and shoulders. I expect this week will be a particularly tense one for you - I hope your appointments go well.

K x

Is there any way of replacing chipped and abraded enamel? I have several badly worn teeth and recently chipped a piece of enamel off two front teeth whilst under stress. My dentist claims that you can't replace tooth enamel in the same way as bath enamel. The white filling material isn't strong enough for edging and porcelain crowns are only worthwhile if most of the visible tooth is missing. I'm sure some enamel rebuilding chemical was developed a few years ago.

Hi i know you posted this a few days ago but i wanted to answer. I chipped my two front teeth badly as a teenager - fell over at school and banged them into concrete (ouch!). I went to my dentist and it was easily 'built up' with fake enamel so i don't understand why your dentist hasnt done the same. I would suggest being persistant in asking or go to another dentist for a second opinion.

Since I had mine rebuilt it has recently chipped again - the stuff they use isnt particularly strong so they tell you you'll probably have to have it redone every 5-10 years or so. I actually need a veneer placed on one of mine as the chip is so deep - this is like a false nail for your tooth. Its like a slim piece of porcelain that they stick on top of the tooth. It is quite expensive but I am so self conscious of this tooth (it has gone a dimmer colour than all the rest of mine so it really stands out) so i think its worth doing.

I hope that helps, as i say i know what its like to feel a bit embarrassed about smiling like i do at the moment and its not particularly pleasant! I'd just get it rebuilt - its painless and unless you have to have a veneer its not very expensive. :D

I have a misaligned jaw - after it was broken by the dentist trying to removed an impact wisdom tooth :o

Had to wear a mouth splint for ages at night - and do special jaw exercises - it's still not perfect but it doesn't hurt any more.

I'm pretty certain he must have knelt on my chest to get the tooth out because I remember waking up from the anasthetic with a really sore chest. :blink:

Hey daisy,

Ouch that must have hurt! Can I ask what exactly is a misaligned jaw? I ask because I have a real problem with my jaw at the moment - i can't open my mouth without it cracking REALLY loudly! It is sooo embarrassing. I am really worried about it because it gets really sore and aches loads. I can actually feel the side of my jaw coming out of the socket and then clicking back in with a big crack as i open and close my mouth.

Is this what you experienced or do you think it is something different? What did you have to do to fix it?! I hate the dentist!

Thanks, Niki :D

Edited by SkyBlue

Dear All

I grind my teeth.

I had to wear a tanner appliance to stabilise my jaw and to slow down the grinding of the teeth.

I then had to have 6 teeth crowned as I had ground my teeth down and they had started to hurt as they had gone down near to the nerve.

I am in the middle of having fixed brace therapy which will mean that I won't grind my teeth as much as I used to.

From Debbie Hudson

Has anybody used Arm & Hammer Enamel Care toothpaste with Liquid Calcium? If so, then how effective is it at rebuilding eroded and chipped enamel?