lyns

Advice please

Hi

I am looking for advice regarding school placements. I am having to move out of my area because my partner is having to transfer jobs. His job will be in Winchester, now I know for certain that I will be moving into this area because of this. My son is 6 and quite severly autistic and needs a high level of care, he currently has a statement with his needs in from my local authority.

I have contacted the LEA in this area who say that they will not offer my son a place in any school until I have moved into the area. But I am not wanting to move until I know for certain which school he will be going to cos knowing my luck all special schools would be full and there would only be mainstream and this is definatly not an option for Jamie.

What should I do, I'm really not prepared to just move and have nothing for him at all there is no way I would ever put Jamie into mainstream, so not sure what to do next really.

Any help or advice will be greatfully received

Lyns

xxxx

Hi Lyns,

Sorry can't offer any help (not from that area) - but I'm sure someone will come along soon with the advice you need.

Good luck

lyns, his statement will come with him and your new LEA will have to honour that. If you know where you are going to live you could research the special schools in that area and contact them directly to see if they are suitable/have places. Then you could contact the LEA again armed with a bit more information.

I don't know much about statements etc. There will likely be someone along soon who could give you more specific advice.

Lauren

Hectorshouse is the one to ask about this, she has been through it and it's been pretty difficult but she may have some good tips - try PMing her

I'd start by contacting individual schools to speak to heads and sencos and visiting, then at least when negotiations star you will know which schools you might want to ask for (or reject)

there should be a list of special schools on the LEA website but it may not give an indication af which schools are good for which needs

Zemanski

Hi

Thanks for your replys.

Sorry should have been a bit more specific. I have seen quite a few special schools in this area and there are only 2 that I think will cater for Jamies needs. However the LEA are saying that they wont garuntee him any place until he is in the area so if these schools are full they will only offer him what is available, so possibly mainstream which really is out of the question for jamie as he has very challenging behaviour and needs a high level of support (he currently has 1:1 at all times in his current statement) but would still not be happy with that in a mainstream environment as he would never cope.

Really dont know what to do now as there is no way I would ever want to be in this situation but we're goint ot have to do it soon. I'm really worried and upset, it hard enough looking after Jamie at times as it is as he needs 24 hour care without this worry as well. LEAs make me angry they have no idea what its like to care for a severly disabled child and the implications it has on us as a family yet they make important decisions in our lives :crying:

Thanks for listening

Lyns

xxx

If you know which school you want then you are halfway there :notworthy:

if your boy has a statement which says that he needs a special school placement then the LEA must honour that until they do a reassessment (which they don't have to do, they can just accept the current statement) - they cannot allocate him to a mainstream school against his statement

you have the right according to the SEN code of practice (available to download from the DFES website or you can order one from them - look for links in the pinned threads at the top of the education topics) and the education act to name the school you prefer if your child has a statement and the right to go to tribunal to appeal if they refuse.

the bit of the CoP you want is about parental preference and naming a school and the law that applies is referred to as schedule 27

contact IPSEA, again the link is at the top of the education page, and keep ringing their help line till you get through - they are brilliant and will give you the best advice going (next to us lot of course :P ), they will also support you through akmost anything the LEA might throw at you.

good luck and stay strong

Zemanski

Being based in Winchester would mean your son could go to special schools in the Eastleigh/Southampton area, Andover, Basingstoke or Alton if necessary. It is not uncommon for children from one area to go to a school in a different area.

Have you got a copy of "Special Provision In Hampshire" - lists all the LEA special schools in Hants. There are also a few independent asd schools around.

If you PM me the names of the schools you are interested in, I will let you know if I know anything about them. One on the outskirts of Winchester has a good reputation.

Karen

Hi lyns ... I've been through this as Z has said and it is a bit of nightmare, unfortunately the LEA are correct they cannot consider any school placement until you have confirmation of an address in the borough, either a proof of sale or tenancy agreement.

As Z has already said if your sons statement already states a special school then that is what the new LEA will have to honour, and if you have an idea of schools for preference even better. Yes they will probably try the old chestnut of inclusion and mainstream, but this is where you have to be vigilant and apply your knowledge of the SEN COP. They do have to honour the existing statement until reassessment, obviously they will not be able to maintain the place on the statement if it is too far to be viable, and this is when you will get into wrangling with them.

If you have all your paperwork for statementing, as in the EP advice and any medical advice then you can use this as back up. However, there is no guarantee, in our previous borough they agreed that my T needed a special school placement and even agreed on the school, but it was full to bursting, even with this in writing the new LEA would not consider T for special school placement, as it turned out for us none of the special schools were suitable in the new borough anyways, but he is at a reasonably good mainstreamm, which is a million times better than the previous inappropriate mainstream in cornwall.

It is a difficult thing to do, and quite scary, but we can help you through the pitfalls of the move and communications you get from the LEA in the new borough.

Sections 8:113, 8:114 & 8:115 are relevant and useful to have to hand.

Hope this helps, if you need any advice don't hesitate to ask, also following is the link to my thread 'NEW AREA, NEW PROBLEMS' which details what we went through. My sons needs might not be the same as yours but it might make an interesting and informative read.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...wtopic=3913&hl=

HHxx

Hi again

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you that have replied to me. It is really appreciated. It sounds like its going to be an absolute nightmare but unfortunatly a necessity for us.

I will keep you updated. I'm sure I will be needing your help again very soon this whole thing is really confusing.

Thanks again

Lyns

xxxx

Hang in there lyns, it is quite hard but it can be resolved, I am now in the fortunate position of having the chance of another draft statement issued ... why is that good? because now I can iron out the obscure bits that I had to hastily agree to before we moved. I also managed to get transport for T, OT sessions, SALT referral finally (after badgering and badgering), full 1:1 with a minimum of 3 TA's and no more that one change of TA a day ...

If you go to my bloggy, I think all the stuff on the move and statements etc ... is on there, might be worth a butchers ... clink on the link below my signature.

HHxx