Sign in to follow this  
witsend

Re inependant schools

Hi, as anyone whose read my previous posts will know I'm still in the midst of finding right high school for D. Just wanted to ask if I find a school that is right for him but is independant will I be expected to pay fees? Sorry this may well be a really thick question, but today Ed Psych mentioned some independant schools and it was only afterwards I thought of this! :(

Cheers, Luv Witsend.

If you can show that the LEA ca offer no viable alternative in their area and that this is the best option for him I think (only think as I haven't checked this for certain) you could argue that they ought to be liable for the funding. Of course if you could get such a school named on a statement...

we have it in writing that there is no other provision for Com outside his current mainstream school - this means that should we be able to prove that his current placement is inappropriate (and the school has already admitted that they do not think it's the right placement) then we can insist that the LEA funds other provision whether this be out of authority state school or an independent school.

you can ask for an independent school to be named anyway but if the authority does have an appropriate school that makes it more difficult

Zemanski

Providing your son has a statement, the LEA will pay for independent school fees providing it is the only school that can meet your sons needs.

Karen