rainbow queen

i have just asked school if i can see the senco some time-this will be first time ever

my son has no dx of as yet and is on school action plus-i have never seen this senco lady-and feel i am kept in the dark with school,hes at mainstream.

what should i be disscuss with her or asking?

i know one thing i want to say is i think his day must be stressfull cause he has awfull meltdowns at home-finding it hard to get him up to go school,hates pe keeps asking me over and over about it,dislikes supplyteachers have trouble getting him to do homework.

can anyone help me? i feel in no mans land as he has no dx-but im seeing camhs on mon.

Hi Rainbow queen,

I've only had a few meetings at school (with various professionals?), as my daughter has only recently been diagnosed.

My daughter attends mainstream school and has until recently coped quietly! in school and meltdowns at home. How old is your son, is he in primary or high school?

I think anything advice you can give them on helping him in school - things that can cause problems will help - although I'm sure she'll guide you through questions anyway. I know it's extremely difficult to know what the problems are especially when they don't tell you what the problems are!

My daughter struggled with supply teachers, and she no longer takes part in PE so that problem has been erased.

Since she's been diagnosed they've obviously been made aware that she needs specific instructions, limited choices etc, and any changes in routine must be explained to her in detail so that she understands.

We've had/have trouble with homework - where she hasn't been given clear instructions of what is expected.

Other areas, have been breaktimes/lunchtimes etc - she only goes mornings now so we don't have the lunch time problem.

Hope it goes ok.

Hi

Sorry I can't help with the reply but i am so glad :notworthy: you asked the question as like you my son has not yet been diagnosed and I am about to arrange a meet with the School Senco so the answers will be really useful to me.

Good luck and I hope the Senco gives you lots of info my sister whos son goes to another school has a lovely Senco who gave her a few booklets for me so fingers crossed yours will be helpful its so difficult when you are not sure what is going on but thank goodness for this site an absolute lifeline.

Good luck.

Kathy

hi hes 4 years old and only started in sept-im just jotting down stuff i want to ask,

any more ideas anyone ?? :P

Hi Rainbow Queen, like you I am new to this, my son (8) was diagnosed AS last week. I am surprised your son has got to SA+ without you meeting the SENCO. I am also a primary school teacher so I can see some of both sides. The senco can be your route to getting more help with your son including behaviour at home. I would ask what he is like in class, what help he is getting, (has he an IEP do you know what's in it?)I would give her as much info about him as you can and then ask her as many questions as you can. Also don't assume she will know alot about AS/ASD but of course she may be very knowlegeable and may be able to provide you with info about local help/groups etc.

Does that help at all? I hope so, I wish you all the best!

AV

Start with asking them:

What areas are causing him the most difficulty - how are they addressing them, what startergies are they using and how they expect this to help. You could also ask them where they have sourced this from. Have they, or are they intending to, written an IEP (Individual Education Plan)? What targets does it have on it?

What areas are causing them the most difficulty and what can you do to help them? A united approach is always the best way to handle things as everyone including the child knows what to expect from school and home.

Communication!!! Who do you contact to inform them of home problems that may impact on school. How do they intend to communicate with you? Communication is an absolute must between home and school.

Are teachers and non-teaching staff aware of the suspected difficulty? If they think it may be ASD then treating it as such will do no harm! But, they all need to have the same approach.

A few ideas to get you going. Hope they help.