Tez

How do you enforce the provisions of a statement?

Based on my own experience over the past few weeks and reading various threads on here, it would seem that despite us, as parents, having fought for a statement that recognises our children's needs and specifies appropriate teaching methods and strategies, various provisions within the statements are being largely ignored within mainstream Secondary Schools and, surprisingly in my case, by home tutors.

Both A's home tutors have refused to even read his statement. Two quite major problems could have been avoided over the past week, if they'd only read the statement. The LEA have been no help, their solution is to wean him off home tuition onto elearning, whereas he's supposed to be receiving both. Part of the difficulty is proving that it is being ignored.

LKS wrote the other day about the difficulty caused by teachers not reading her son's IEP, and there have been other similar threads. So has anyone got any ideas how you enforce the provisions of the statement, within a reasonable amount of time, and without going to court?

What about the Dfes SEN Operations.

Address: Mowden Hall

Staindrop Road

Darlington

DL3 9BG

Phone: 0870 0012345

I have a direct contact - Mrs P......., (bird with very showy tail) 01325 392271 - and you may be able to have an informal chat first.

Thanks Helen,

I'll give them a phone and see what they say. I've also downloaded the tribunal forms for SENDIST to sort out the whole mess of a statement.

I had an email address for the person at he DfES SEN operations who sorted my LEA out over refusal to provide home tuition but somehow I must have deleted it - most unlike me. :(

Tez I think you are right to say it is very difficult to ensure that what it says in the statement is actually carried out. I posted on here in the past about when ds was in primary school. His statement said that he will receive 15 hours of learning support assisstance per week. Now I know that it did not say1:1 and in year 6 they were trying to encourage independance. BUT the LSA was not even at times working in his class with other groups, she was not even working with the rest of year 6, she was working with a completely different child or year group in a completely different part of the building. When I asked the head to clarify when and where the support for ds happened he said you will understand that the 15 hours per week mentioned in the statement does not mean to say that the school have to supply 15 hours each and every week :wallbash::wallbash: . Guess who was the only child in the class that had got significantly behind in his work in certain subjects and was having to bring work home :angry: IPSEA helped me with this and I downloaded a standard letter which I had to send to the LEA to say that they were not meeting the provision. It turned out, and the head actually confirmed this in writing that ds was receiving about eight and a half hours of support a week :wacko: Tez is there anyway that you could write to these tutors and try to get them to put in writing that they do not wish to read the statement and their reasons.

I've just read my post again and it sounds a bit confusing :wacko: I meant that for a lot of the time ds was unsupported by anyone in the class and it was actually his C. T. who told me that she found it very difficult to support him for certain lessons with no help. She seemed unaware of a lot of his statement and said the SENCO had copied her on parts that were relevant.