Sign in to follow this  
pingu

Statement update

:angry: Hi everyone.

I had an informal chat with both the psychologist and K's teacher about the ongoing assessments which have been running over the last couple of months, they are basically been done to show the level of support that he will need when he goes into year 3 in september. Taking in mind that he has been taught in a class of 9 children for 2 years. He has now begun to intergrate into his mainstream class during the afternoon, but at these times he can only 'stay on task' for 20% of the time. Whereas when someone is with him he can stay on task for 80%.

Anyway, back to the last meeting, we were told that we were on the first rung of the ladder for a statement of needs, and that there should be no problem in obtaining it as his inattention was that severe he would definatly need someone with him.. So it came as a bit of a shock as now ive been told that he 'will be fine' with 10 hours a week, and there is no need to push for a statement as school will be able to provide 10 hours of TA support... 10 HOURS.??????.... jez he's at school 6 hours a day

I know in the past you guys have helped on this subject, but what would you do in this situation? I seem to have no argument left the school is very much aware of the problem,and we keep getting praised for the way we do thinks (which is nice) but it seems that they are giving him the bare minimum in the hope he will just be quiet and accept it. But all that i can see happening is that he will not learn anything, barring maths and english (as this is the two areas where his TA will be used) No supervision for the rest of the time mind you :angry:

Oh Im so angry, Its always fight fight ###### fight :tearful: And then they have the cheek to call me an "anxious lady" (just found it on one of the reports done about the eldest !! :shame: )

take care

shaz

really?? they dont tell you about that do they ? :P

Do you know where i could start, i would feel terrible about going behind the back of his teacher as she has always been great, but i think she has been bullied by 'those higher' to make me think that her way is the best way. if you know what i mean

Hi Pingu >:D<<'> ,

This link shows how to apply to your LEA for an assessment of special needs, it also gives a model letter.

IPSEA

Bear in mind that you have to be able to show that the school have done everything they can, and your child is still having difficulties.

Hope this helps.

Annie

>:D<<'>