Sign in to follow this  
Valiant_Skylark

More bad news on soy

I'm vegetarian and breast-fed all my kids. I only have one daughter (she's 9) - the rest are lads. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the future holds for her fertility wise.

My daughter was put on wysoy when she was 6mths old by the Paed. as he suspected lactose intolerance. She stayed on this until she was nearly 4 - and then we tried goats milk for a year before she went back onto cows milk. She's 12 now.

First time I've ever read anything like this - although I do recall someone else I knew at the time who had a boy on Wysoy that they advised him only to stay on it a short while because of something to do with fertility - but when I talked to the HV about it at the time was told that it didn't affect girls :(

jb

we were advised that there were sometimes problems with boys on soy when Com was put on it at 8 months due to lactose intolerance, till then he was totally breastfed and only had soy in food till a year old then stopped taking any milk products whatsoever except yogurt (which he could tolerate by then), including giving up the breast suddenly 2 days before his birthday (I still remember how much it hurt - agony for days and he wouldn't feed!).

anyway that was 13 years ago.

It's funny though, soy has been a major part of the diet in China, Japan, etc for centuries and China certainly doesn't have a problem with fertility, in fact they have been actively trying to lower the birthrate for decades. :huh:

Zemanski

Zemanski

The type of soy matters. These cultures are discussed on the Mary Shomon website (or links from it) if you want to know why.

One of my sons was born with mild hypospadias and I know of another boy, whose mother ate a lot of soy products (which helped give her her hypothyroidism) whose son had severe hypospadias.

I was worried and sad to read of this link. Both my boys were breastfed but had WYSOY instead of cow's milk on cereals etc. They had a lot of soy in their young lives. Ho hum.

VS xx

It's the same for many highly processed foods, it's the additives and the changes that occur during the processing that are the problem on the whole. I think it's quite ironic that a food designed for infants is probably more damaging than giving them the adult version (which we're told clearly to avoid) might be because it isn't so manipulated to include all those important ingredients and trace elements.

the point of my post was really that they already knew 13 years ago that there were problems with baby soy products - to the point that we were told that if Com's testicles had not been descended the doctor wouldn't have prescribed it for him at all.

I'm glad his intake was only minimal.

Zemanski

Ah well - if it's boys as well as girls - looks like I won't be having any grandkids then. All breastfed from soya eating mum and have eaten soya based products for years and years and years. :(

And I thought being a veggie was healthy

William was prescribed soya formula milk from 3 months old :( He was on a dairy free diet and his only form of milk was soya until he was 18 months, and then back on it from the age of 2-3.

I was thinking about this soy thing.

I can remember my dad (he works in medical research) telling me about babies of vegetarian mums being born with waterworks defects a long time ago... maybe 8 or 9 years ago, when I was still very young.

I wonder if this is related?

I don't think I will have babies, but I might adopt one one day if I am allowed to.