Hectorshouse

T finally gets his amended statement

The new draft landed with the usual thump on the carpet yesterday, I quickly scanned it and have now published it on my bloggy ....

http://www.asdfriendly.org/blogs/hectorshouse/?cat=7

I am arranging an appointment with the LEA officer as it seems in parts even more vague than the last one from Cornwall.

If anyone fancies taking a butchers and giving any pointers/suggestions I would be extremely grateful, I've noticed there seems to be an abundance of drafts arriving through peoples letter boxes at the mo, I am also calling IPSEA and my NAS lady if I can find her number to get them to go though it with me.

Oh the joys of SEN ... HHxx

Edited by Hectorshouse

Reply from IPSEA ...

i have had a look at t's statements and think that while prts 2 and 3 are detailed and extensive they are not very well specified and quantified

.in prt 3 they promise to deliver lots of things--eg a specific programme to improve cooperative work skills,a structured communication skills programme, a range of activities to develop gross and fine motor skills, advice from the advisory teacher for physical difficulties and the county autism team but they dont say how these things should be delivered , how often, by whom etc

.i think that you should raise issues about the ambiguity over who is to deliver what,over frequency of provision and about wording that allows someone else to decide about provision.(it is the job of the lea to decide on the provision not leave it to someone else-- hence anytime you see "as appropriate" or "As advised by" or "at the discretion of" you can remind them that while they should consider professional advice, it is for them to make a decision about provision and then specify and quantify it)

i would also tighten up the wording concerning t's teaching assisstant support. i would ask them to take out "initially" reminding them that further down the page they state that it will be on the basis of the annual review that they decide whether the level of support is appropriate to his need.

then if they amend the statement to reduce the level of support you will have appeal rights.

i would also insert the words "one to one" thus ensuring that this s not a shared teaching assisstant.

they are offering 840 hrs per annum-- i assume this is based on 190 day school yr thus giving him 22hrs per week. is this enough?

hope this helps --if you need the legal refs do get back to me?

Pretty much what I knew but it is always good to have it confirmed, just waiting for the LEA to come back to me with an appointment, will chase them up today, and definitely ge those legal refs ...

HHxx

Hi HH thank God for IPSEA. I think I will use the bit if you don't mind that says it is up to the LEA to decide on the provision, not leave it to someone else :devil:

Good Luck in getting the wording altered without having to go to tribunal. After all this time you'd have thought that a LEA would have learnt how to write a legal statement wouldn't you? :wacko:

After all this time you'd have thought that a LEA would have learnt how to write a legal statement wouldn't you? :wacko:

In think they do them this badly on purpose, as few parents know what they are doing/dealing with, and even less have the support of wonderful forums like this one, so I'd think that most of the times, the LEAs get away with this, and hence save money by only providing the absolute minimum.

why does the statement say no more than 3 LSA. I would want 1 LSA with training in................

It says the school has to set aside the funding. Legally the LEA have to provide the funding. Its not a good clear statement.

How are they going to communicate between home and school. I would want a daily dairy put in this section. If it is not written in the statement then the school do not have to do it.

It would be better if the statement said teaching adjusted to suit your childs learning style.

If your child has problems writing things down why hasn't he had an assessment for IT equipment. What about alternative methods to show learning has taken place.

They have to specify the amount of hours see IPSEA ruling.

Jen

why does the statement say no more than 3 LSA. I would want 1 LSA with training in................

If one LSA is off sick or away, then there needs to be another one; IPSEA told me that LSAs don't usually stay for very long so then if one of those two above leaves, there needs to be an extra person well known to the child as getting a new LSA can take time (and the change would b epretty traumatic for the ASD child). Hence they advice 3. It obviously allows more flexibility for the school as well.

Training in...that would be so great, but in this part of the country there isn't much of that available at all...

my child could not manage three. We tried two in infants and that did not work. His integration has alway

been dependent on him forming a relationship with a key person. I can see where IPSEA are coming fromf but for my child this has not worked.

Jen

the LSA should be trained irrespective of whether training is available in your area. If there is no demand they it will never be arranged. 'They can also go outside the area to receive training. We insisted on this in our statement because our children are so complex. A normal mother will have difficulty understanding our children. We have difficulty and make mistakes yet we know so much about our childs difficulties and how it affects them. Insist of training in ASD and what ever other diabilities your child has.

My sons LSA has been on training every year. The whole school staff have also had training, but only because we insisted. How can children be included if the staff do not understand there difficulties or how to handle them. Our children are so varied and complex this is essential.

Jen