Sign in to follow this  
jen

LEA do not want to go to tribunal

We are going to tribuanl in a few months because we do not agree with our sons statement. We do not agree with part 2 or part 3 of the statement.

The LEA senior officer rang to day to say they had just finished having a meeting about our son. They were willing to give him back the 25 hours we had asked for. They also wanted us to meet them to discuss what we wanted in our sons statement. The LEA officer said the recommendations we had asked to be included for the proposed statement were too long. It was two pages long. They told me the statement should just be a short introduction to how my son is now.

This is an LEA officer stating this. I told them I was not prepared to compromise with my childs difficulties. The statement is a legal document that should describe my child difficulties and how they affect him then section 3 should address his needs.

Don't let them do anything other than their statutory duty - that is- to detail ALL of the child's special educational needs at Part 2 and Provision to meet those needs, detailed and quantified at Part 3.

DO NOT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS - IT IS ONLY WHAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO.

My lea did the same - they told me that the detail should go on an IEP - wrong!!!!! Please do not let them push you into accepting rubbish just for the sake of 25 hours - if it is good quality hours that are being used to meet the legal requirements of a statement - then fine - but it could be 25 hours that is not dedicated TA support. Yes the TA could be there for 25 hours for your child but she may have to be shared with many other children - so it could be 25 hours childminding - not 25 hours educational support!

We am taking it all the way to tribunal because all the evidence off everyone apart from the LEA goes in our sons favour.

Where were the LEA 3 months ago when we were discussing the same child with the same conditions just closing there ears.

Jen