kerrybobs

Depression & OCD

Hiya,

I just wondered if there is anyone out there, who has depression or OCD. I have 3 girls 2 nt and 1 asd/adhd. I have been suffering with depression for a few years and am taking anti- deppresants.

Since the diagnosis of Robyn November 2004. Things have got worse for me. I dont know if its because she is getting older and her behaviour is more apparent or because I have found out the reason for my child being different. And the constant fight with her school and outside agencies, to get support for her.

I have had a few bad episodes and a run of bad luck over the last couple of years, so I do understand as to why I am the way I am. I have broken down a couple of times in work and they have told me I have to get myself better before I can return to work.

I went to see a psychiatrist. I was gob smacked to find out I have OCD. Once I looked at myself, it began to make sense. I am not a hand washer or anything like that, I make lists and like to have everything perfect even though I know I am setting myself up for a fall. I find it hard to sleep and will go through anything and everybody with names/ football teams/singers/ begining with A-Z, I could go on forever. If I do anything I have to do it 5 times before I can go onto my next thing. To be honest I have always done this, but it is getting worse. I was shocked when I told my family and my close friends as they were not surprised at all.

I just thought it was normal and everybody did it, but to find out that I have this really has set me back. You see I am supposed to be the strong one, my partner is suspected to have AS and I am the one who takes control and makes the decisions. I am finding things really hard at the moment. I have no motivation at all. I cant concentrate and all I seem to do is snap all the time. I have only been out 4 times in the last 6 weeks and often retreat to my bed especially when the kids are playing up. I am fed up being like this and I know that my whole family is suffering due to me being the way I am. I am also scared of losing my job as I am the main bread winner, if I was to lose my job I would lose my home.

Im sorry to have burdened you all with this, but if anyone could give me some advice I would truly be grateful.

Thank you

Kerry

Kerry

i also have ocd although not bad but bad enough to be annoying both for me and others around me.I also have I suspect a.s. tendancies.

I think you will find ocd can often run along side a.s. though obviously not always.

I am lucky in that both of my two children are n.t. although my daughter was severely autistic following an mmr vaccination that caused her to have autistic encephalitus.She has since made a full recovery. :thumbs::thumbs:

You sound like you need some of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I too have suffered from depression.I have read somewhere that people with ocd, a.s. etc are more prone to depression not sure if this is true though. :unsure:

Take care of yourself .Feel free to pm me if you need to chat.Best Wishes hope things get better for you soon. :)

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I too suffer from depression and was diagnosed 7 years ago with bi polar disorder.

The joke was i was told to avoide stress at all cost as it makes the symptoms of bi polar worse. :(:(

How can i avoide stress when for the past 12 years ive been sorting out an as son and fighting to get what he deserves.Its just impossible.

I also have slighlty odd starange ways that i think are perfectly normal but others think are stark raveing mad.

Ive often wondered if the fact ive had to live my life in such a routined and ordered way since our son was born as kinda rubbed of on me and ive become AS by proxy if that makes sence.I have to behave in some ways like an AS person to accomodate my son there fore the knowck on effect is it has become normal for me to behave strangley.

I hope ive made sence.

No wonder were all depressed at times though its bloomeing stressfull haveing A kid whs As it sends yer loopy it did me.

Hi Kerry , where have you been ???...........missed you glad your back :D .I can relate to all that you have posted.During my sons dx 3 yrs ago the subject came up of my obsessive tendencies, wiping , and cleaning, having a set routine every morning, plumping cushions :huh: , making lists, I also became reclusive and stopped venturing very far from home and stopped seeing friends.I found I became worse the more my life spiralled out of control.Taking control of my behaviour obsessively brought about some comfort to me.I was also prescribed anti, ds a year ago. Things have got tons better, but I know that one reason for this is the fact that at the moment my son is doing really well.It sounds like you are under alot of pressure with the job and everything , have you been back to the gpto see if he can offer any help, I know CBT is supposed to be good for OCD.(cognitive behaviour therapy), all the best Suzex.

:( hi ya

ive been on anti depressents for years now so long in fact they caused me to rapid cycle from down to up-like bi polar only the phycharist told me i had rapid cycling mood disorder.

and ocd too-i do the lists things and keep checking stuff-but i really do reckon my son has brought this ocd out in me too like paula says you start merging into there personalty after a while -i swear my son has ocd and hes been assessed for AS.

it gets so hard to think when my son is round me that i have to check all angles ect... when im doing simple jobs because i know how easy an accident can happen and it occurs alot around my son -ie ; end up locking car keys in car on car parks /locking my self out of house /leaving purse in shops ect.........had this happen so much that i need to check everything i do now .

im on anti ds and mood stabilser and have appointments every 3 months-may start having cbt or some other things.....

i know ive become like a hermit -ive always been quite but the melt downs that occur with my son in public has nearly made me house bound, it really is all down to the stress-its not suprising we parents are in this situation because its the stress that piles it all on top of you when dealing with our children.

so dont feel alone >:D<<'>

Edited by rainbow queen