Sign in to follow this  
cmuir

MAINSTREAM OR SPECIAL SCHOOL?

Hi

I'm facing a bit of a dilmena just now in terms of deciding whether my son goes to mainstream school or a special school. I manage to make my mind up and then hear something that manages to change it again and again! Ideally I would like to try my son in mainstream, but I'm concerned that if he goes to mainstream and it doesn't work out, will I have a massive battle on my hands to get him into a special school? Generally speaking, has anyone found they've had great difficult going from mainstream to special?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks.

Caroline.

My son went to a mainstream school with a statement for special education at 5 years of age.He was given 15 hours a week help on a one to one basis also.But even so for us it didnt work out.He couldnt cope and spent a very very stressfull and unhappy year.

I didnt find it difficult to get him out of the school and into a special school infact because it hadnt worked out and the head teacher was on my side recommending he was no longer placed ther it made it kinda easier.

I started looking for a special school after 3 months of mainstream.Yep that quick.Basically i phoned every special school listed in the thomson local and asked what there criteria was if he fitted it we went to look around.Then i informed the LEA that i wanted him to go to this school and that they were willing to take him.Granted i had to waite untill September but we did it.Weve never looked back the special school has worked wonders for him hes so much more confident and hes learnt alsorts of stuff mainstream said hed never learn.

My only regret is that hed to endure one school year of hell before he got the right placement.I didnt want him to be in mainstream but the LEA insisted he give it a go.

Good luck.

I too say if youre given the choice of mainstream or special choose special school.

I wasnt given a choice my LEA insisted that he try mainstream with support.They just wouldnt listen it had to go t!ts up before theyd back down even then they wouldnt admit i was right and they were wrong but i got the special school placement so i was happy and so was my son in the end.

We moved our two boys from mainstream to special school last summer.

We had some resistance from the mainstream school who seemed more concerned about the effect on their reputation that failing to integrate our two boys was going to have than on the boys welfare, but everyone else (EP, Portage, Staementing Officer, Paed, Statementing Panels, CAMHS etc. were all brilliant). In a sense it helped that we had two boys in the system as we have become very well known to all involved with special needs children in our area!

I think we are lucky though as there is a very pro-special school political (big P and liettle p) climate in our area and our LEA has resisted the move towards integrating all children into mainstream, much to the annoyance of the Disiability Right Commission amongst others.

Our only regret is that we persisted with mainstream for so lomg when it was making them so unhappy.

Simon

Mossgrove

We do what we think is right at the time.Its a massive learning curve working youre way through everything thats availabel the school system drs ect ect..........

Thats why its great on here because theres someone further down the line with older kids whove done it and seen it who can offer hope and guidence.It gives us that extra edge because the bloomeing so called profesionals at times dont let you in on what you need to know.

Edited by Paula