mum22boys

Unsure and confused

Hi all,

Need some of your expert advice. :D

I applied for DLA for M last November. He was turned down due to the school report, I later received a copy which said he had no problems. I confronted the Head as i told her she was lying and she at the time agreed to write a letter for me to send to the DLA. Letter never emerged!!!! Has now been over five weeks.

I sent in a whole load of additional info to DLA at the beginning of March. He had by then been seen by the pead who will assess him later this year. She wrote a report stating he has feature suggesting an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I got an independant witness which had seen M having a tantrum to write a letter also about what she saw. She claimed M was a danger to himself and others.

Today out the blue I get a phone call from the DLA lady who is looking at his reconsideration. She asked me if he has been seen by a pead which i said yes and said she should have the report. Eventually she found it but kept saying 'he hasn't been diagnosed'. I told her there is a long wait and she has the pead's letter which states he shows signs of ASD and SAL report which states he has poor short term memory and understanding of a 3 and a half y/o. Firstly her response was 'but i need more medical evidence' I then spent nearly 15 mins telling her how hard M finds life. I told her school now have these behaviours there and he has 1-1 support at lunch because he can't cope with being in the playground etc. Must admit i went on and on.

She said she will look again at the evidence. I am left feeling the whole thing has been a waste of time and energy :tearful: I feel sure i will get a letter next week telling me M is not going to receive it.

Has anyone else here been contacted like this?

mum22boys

Hi,

Follow up with a long letter reiterating what you told her on the phone with anything extra you can think of. Write and send it today. Also, look up your MP on the internet and send him/her an email asking for help in this matter, explaining this is just another example of how hard it is for you to access help for your child. Tell the DWP that you have done this.

Also, if you have any letters or reports from anyone about your son add copies of those to what you send to the DWP.

When I had a similar experience last year I bombarded them with extra information and evidence, plus a letter from my MP.

Hope this helps, and if you need any help with that letter, just let me know.

Lauren

I would also write a letter to the headteacher and special needs govenor for giving false information. I would state you are not happy with this and if this continues you will take them to tribunal for discriminating against his disability.

I think the school done the same to us but there was so much more evidence from other people they ignored the schools letter.

Jen

Hi all,

He was turned down due to the school report, I later received a copy which said he had no problems. I confronted the Head as i told her she was lying and she at the time agreed to write a letter for me to send to the DLA. Letter never emerged!!!! Has now been over five weeks.

mum22boys

Unfortunately the school would have 20 working days to reply from when the school reopens, but you might want to consider using the Freedom of Information Act. :devil:

If it were me I would be writing to the HT with a request for information regarding the report of which you have a copy. Something like that "I note the report says X (and number the points you dispute). Please provide the documents or information that supports these decisions/conclusions reached as I had been led to believe differently.

You will recall we have verbally discussed this report, and you had agreed that you would write a letter for me to provide in support of a DLA application, as you agreed the report does not accurately reflect (name's) current situation. To date this has not been forthcoming. Please either provide information as to the reasons for the decision not to provide this document to me as arranged, or alternatively provide the document.

I appreciate that under the Freedom of Information Act you have a maximum of 20 working days in which to search for and provide me with the information I am requesting. However, as it should form part of a readily available file, I would appreciate your urgent response to this, particularly as this is holding up a financial matter relevant to the welfare of my child. "

They have to answer "promptly" and in any event no later than 20 working days. I've used FOI a lot recently. :devil: After a complete p**s take for 6 months, I have finally sussed that I don't need to rant or call anyone a liar, under FOI a short, carefully worded request for information means that they cant ignore you, and they have to justify their decisions and actions. Worth getting to know the Act. ;)

This scares me a bit because I can see the same happening to us when we re -apply because the school say they don't see any AS traits at school.

I hope all goes well and i hope the phone call means you will get awarded DLA. Holding thumbs for you

Justamom

Thanks all to those that replied.

I have just looked up my MP and am going to draft a letter tonight and then e-mail him. I will be telling him not only about the struggle with DLA but also the very long wait for assessment and the lack of help regarding M's behavioral problems because aparently in our area there are no resourses!

I will also look at typing the head up a letter although i fear this is all too late now. It looks likely the DLA will have made their decision today but i will write a letter to them as suggested by lauren and get that posted.

I feel so angry with how hard i have had to justify M's needs yet there are all those out that that con the system. those adults that claim to have bad backs (what medical proof do they have!!!!) and still work etc. Makes me wonder how they get it so easy when i have to fight so hard.

I'll carry on fighting and just hope if the decision was made today that my speech to the DLA lady would have made her think.

mum22boys