Sign in to follow this  
pingu

he wont go to the toilet

:sick:

Hi there.

Before kieran got poorly last week he went to the toilet (for a poop) up to 6 x a day, But last friday when he went he was a bit loose and this freaked him out. As he started to get better he started asking me questions about it (why it was loose) I told him it was because he was unwell, but he has vowed never to go again,

and has since refused to sit on the toilet.

He must be holding it in by now, he has had belly ache on and off for the last couple of days, and we have been giving him fresh orange and weetabix to help move him along, but there is nothing. his belly looks swollen today and i keep trying to persuade him he should at least try. But all he says is 'dont need one' !

Im sorry to raise this topic, but after months of dealing with it numerous times a day, (he always asks me to wipe, coz he wont go near loo roll) I know this isnt like him.

he isnt constipated as he has been 'dribbling' and marking his pants, so i know its there.

Take care

shaz

Hi Pingu,

Hope Kierans feeling a little better. It sounds like he's frightened himself bad over this.

Don't really know what to suggest to make him go (if you know what I mean) - my daughter suffered with chronic constipation from birth up to now (she's 12) - and she's always been on medication for it (although we tried all the prune juice etc - it never worked).

The only thing I would say is to be wary that this doesn't develop into a real problem. My daughter developed a big problem after something frightened her to do with swallowing (she nearly choked on some food while having a sore throat) and she didn't eat for 6 months.

I know this is a different thing - but I can remember the CPN telling me that sometimes when they've been frightened over a bodily function and suddenly become 'aware' of how to stop it happening again it's very difficult to get that fear away.

Hopefully he'll go soon and realise that he's nothing to be frightened of - but if this doesn't clear in a day or two (I remember when my daughter was little the GP said they would usually wait up until 7/10 days before giving any medication) I would make an appointment with your GP or speak to someone at CAHMS (if you have a contact there).

Take care,

Jb

I do know that if you sit the child on the toilet and get them to blow up a balloon, that can be very effective. But if that would upset him I'm not sure what to suggest, sorry.

It does sound like the poor little thing does need the loo - hence the swollen tummy - I would not leave it too much longer like jb1964 said 7-10days - you have given him food and drink to help things along so see what the doctor has to say.

Just thought of something did he have any antibiotics when he was ill or other meds that could be "bunging" him up???? I know my kids when they have had a different medication it seems to "block" them up and we are also talking of a family that "go thru ALOT of loo roll"...

Justamom

Hi, no he didnt have any meds, they said the virus wouldnt respond to them, But on the bright side, the good news is, he had a try about half hour ago, and managed to produce a very 'suspicious' one (i say suspicious coz of the colour) but at least he managed a bit.

Thanks for your help,

I hope things go back to normal now. :D

Shaz

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Pingu,

This is a very common ASD thing. Parents have found at the chemist they have aloe vera juice suitable for all these complaints, on the label it will mention irritable bowel. This could also be a reaction after the MMR all you need to do is add the aloe juice to fruitjuice.

Also acidophilus capsules mixed into yogurt were recommended to B.

An exercise to free everything up is to get your child to lie on their back, and get them to move their legs as if they were peddling a bicycle. You can hold their feet and do it with them.

Also, put some pictures in the toilet even on a sheet of cardboard, like pictures of feel good things flowers, cute animals, beach scenes, or landscapes and sunsets so they can just relax, once they relax this helps.

Warm colours reds yellows oranges, golds and aquatic colours are very peaceful and calming.

Hope some of this helps

Hailey

my daughter got scared like yr son and wd hold onto a poo for up to a fortnight, she wd be dying to do it but would hold it back and sweat like crazy. she was only 2 at the time and it was quite scary. I went tot the gp in the end and got some lactulose and that worked a treat. It tastes quite nice too, but dont tellhim its to make him poo, tell him its for his tummy ache or he wont take it if hes anything like Ellie.

let us know how it goes. >:D<<'>

Hi everyone, and thanks again for your advice. He has 'been' again today with not as much fuss, so hopefully he will just carry on 'down natures path' He went back to school today, so i rushed out to do the shopping (fearing a phonecall before i had time to shop) and i had just got into the supermarket when my phone rang, and it was the school, only it was to say that my middle one was unwell, so i had to go and pick her up. (Im thankful that she is not half as bad as kieran was last week)

No rest for the wicked eh :whistle:

shaz