Sign in to follow this  
katkin

ASD specific trained LSA/TA?????

Just a question that's been bothering me for some time. It's often mentioned on this forum and others that ASD specific trained TAs are what's needed/ wanted for their child to support them in mainstream. I'm not disagreeing with this at all but exactly what ASD specific trainig is there out there that the ordinary LSA can do? I know there are degrees etc but that really is unlikely to apply to an LSA as with such as degree they are likely to move on to other things. I've worked in education for 12years, mainstream and other. 6years with ASD children yet I wouldn't consider myself to be trained specifically. I have attended courses of course but also wouldn't count this as trained. As far as I'm aware my county offer no such courses so what is there? I'd be really interested to know... Thanks and love Kat

Just a question that's been bothering me for some time. It's often mentioned on this forum and others that ASD specific trained TAs are what's needed/ wanted for their child to support them in mainstream. I'm not disagreeing with this at all but exactly what ASD specific trainig is there out there that the ordinary LSA can do? I know there are degrees etc but that really is unlikely to apply to an LSA as with such as degree they are likely to move on to other things. I've worked in education for 12years, mainstream and other. 6years with ASD children yet I wouldn't consider myself to be trained specifically. I have attended courses of course but also wouldn't count this as trained. As far as I'm aware my county offer no such courses so what is there? I'd be really interested to know... Thanks and love Kat

Hi Kat,

You've got a point there!

I'm a TA, supported children with autism for about 10 years total (in different settings and having family in the middle)

I'm a trained nursery nurse - the diploma took 2 yrs fulltime but i only did 2 weeks placement in special needs (a language unit) and one short module to cover whole specail needs subject and nothing specific on ASD :o

However, I've always had an interest in ASD and I think an affinity to working with people with ASD. My first job at 18 was a classroom assistant in ASD school, I learned on the job and had no formal training. Until recently I havent had any formal training but attended many conferences and seminars (a charitable agency paid for them). The school that I work in now provides inset training with at least one 'ASD training day each year - not a lot and delivered by staff.

I'm lucky that my school paid for me to do an online university certificate course in ASD. Its expensive and most of our TAs wouldnt choose to do it, I asked for it. So now I can say I'm ASD trained.

I think that our LEA do provide some very short courses for TAs - an introduction to ASD, that type of thing - but none of our staff have been offered anything like that. Its usually a case that staff in the main school are moved into the autism unit if they show an interest or skill with our pupils. Sometimes its important to find the person with the right qualities rather than the one who has attended all the right courses.

I do think that TAs should get better special needs training and if they working with children with AS or ASD they should be given proper training.

That doesnt really answer the question does it :wacko:

SV

Hi Kat,

I think I would rather the support was from someone 'qualified and EXPERIENCED in addressing the needs of autistic children'.

Qualifications are great but not worth much without the experience. Qualified - I would expect someone to have at least a basic understanding of ASD and a willingness to learn how ASD affects the individual child.

Nellie xx

I agree, I think ( perhaps somewhat immodestly that I am good with "my" asd children - I certainly enjoy working with them) and I would rather have somebody who was willing to learn about the child than all the qualifications there are - but what is there? It seems that there is a hotchpotch of awareness days, challenging behaviour days but nothing specific. Often local schools (mld/sld) will offer short info days for mainstream staff but is this training? having looked at the nvq3 there is nothing on that about asd or indeed much about dealing with sen children at all. makes me wonder that's all. Kat

Our LEA provide twilight courses run by Autistic Outreach for LSA, teachers and nursery staff who will be looking after children with ASD. If necessary they will also spend some time at school with the LSA and autistic child suggesting ways of managing them, strategies, play based activities and so on. I don't think the LSAs are specifically trained in ASD but they should have a decent working knowledge of how to manage a child with ASD and understand the problems they will face. That's the theory anyway!

Lx

I may just come in here and quote something that SV will be familiar with and that is the practitioner who is 'qualitatively different'. Rita Jordan described it as someone who had been bitten by the bug and I am inclined to agree. As a parent and a student, I am struck that it is more about attitude and a desire to engage with our kids that is much more important than qualifications, but as a parent, we need to see some kind of positive reinforcement of the desire and ability. In my travels, I have found some TA's who are just bad, bad bad, and fortunately, these have been in the minority - the majority of TA's that I have met have undertaken courses at their own expense and in their own time.

I am an accountant who had to go and get the qualifications and the letters to prove to people that I was capable of doing the job, despite being more than able without the letters, so I understand that people need re-assurance.

Perhaps the time is coming where we need a nationaly recognised qualification to give parents a degree of comfort that whoever is in charge of their kids has at least had some form of training.

Best wishes

HelenL

SV - I haven't even started my portfolio!!!! J and I are decorating his bedroom and trying to make it a little more grown up - he is doing well but the change is making him have some funny little turns!.

The drumming - OMG - I cried - he did about two beats and then stopped dead and I cried because I thought he had freaked. The DH had put the wrong backing track on! -- J recovered and was given rapturous applause. I was so proud of him. The mext day, he was presented with the HT's Progress Cup. His teacher told me that HT said to the children, I wonder if anyone knows who really deserves this cup and she said the whole school pointed and said "J". She said it was very moving to see just how much the kids respect him for how he overcomes his difficulties. What no one has seen though has been five days of pooing, screetching and hypersensitivity to just about everything.

'Qualitatively different just about sums me up.............well different anyway :P

I definately think that there are some people who are especially suited to working in the field of ASD. Those people will seek the knowledge they need and will always want to know more. However I think most come across ASD by accident, they start off as unqualified, inexperienced but soon they get sucked in. Personally, I think i love my job because of the diversity and I love to problem solve, think up new strategies, there's never a dull moment and of course there are always those tiny little steps forwards to celebrate. Like Brooks sig says 'walk gently through this day lest you miss the miracles' (sorry if i quoted wrong)

Hen

:first::clap::band::groupwave::groupwave::band::clap::first:

These are for J, tell him I love to hear stories about him and WELL DONE

I bet you were bursting with pride

I got an extension for my portfolio (well i think i have) I havent got far.

I dont need 1,500 words to say what I thin of ASD good practice guidelines...........one will do!!!

SV

Hi Katkin,

I also am LSA for two yr 7 ASD pupils. I was chosen for the job because I already worked in the school and my son has AS / dyslexia. I am the most qualified as the staff DO NOT HAVE A CLUE regarding ASD behaviours and traits. To be fair there are some that are willing to listen when I get on my soap box to explain why xxxx did that or didn't do that.

I felt that I also would like to get some specific training and didn't really want to go down the degrees path. The only useful courses I could find were run by NAS. Unfortunately they were too far away and three full days long. Then I found an online part time course which took two years to complete but could be fitted in around the work I am already doing. It was for an ASD certificate. It was very expensive but I felt it would be worth it to have a qualification in ASD. I printed off the prospectus and took it in to the school to show the head.

(I must point out that when I started as LSA in September 2005 I was told as ASD was new to the school I could have any help, books or training within reason that I might require.)

The head was appauled at what I wanted to do and point blank refused to give her permission.

* I wasn't asking the school to pay for anything

* I didn't need any time off from my work

* I wasn't asking for a pay rise

I was told that I was only a welfare worker supervising the girls welfare and didn't need qualifications like that. She also pointed out that she wasn't willing to ask the parents permission for their children to be used

in any case history that the coursework might need.

So that was the start and finish in getting recognised training in pupils with ASD's.

Julieann

Julieann, that's shocking! Especially as you weren't even asking for anything! As for the case histories, I don't think that the Head is hte one to give permission, it's the parents who do. And don't you think they'd be delighted?

I have attended courses of course but also wouldn't count this as trained

Most would consider that trained, and it seems some will even try to add the letters after their name to show that they have been (even if it was only a day's course...). totally wrong ofcourse.

Hi,

Im afraid I have come to this thread a liitle late in the day. I have been an LSA for over 10 years and I am unaware of any ASD trained LSA or of any specific relevant qualification. Apart from the occasional 2 or 3 day course I dont think they exist.

Loraine