oracle

Make School Make Sense

Hubby and I received two invitations to attend the launch of the new NAS Campaign in May 'Make School Make Sense Campaign'

The launch is May 24th also my Birthday so I wont forget the date will I? We are both hoping to attend.

I do not know a great deal about this campaign as yet, and I am always the first one to say that NAS no longer has any real teeth - but anything which is putting a national spin on the way our children are being abused by the system can only help?

The letter with the invitation reads as follows

There are 90,000 children with autism in the UK, many of whom face an ongoing struggle to access education that is their right.

'Getting the right education for my child is the single hardest thing that I have ever experienced. It took going through an education tribunal to achieve the support that he needs. I'm now anticipating the same battle with my younger child. It's never ending! Children are our future and every child has the right to be educated and to develop to their full potential. What does the future hold if we don't help them now?'

parent of two children with autism.

AIM have been banging the educational drum for almost three years now and have so far gotten no where. This is mostly down to the fact that people who can change the state of play only ever listen to NAS so we must now throw our weight behind this Campaign and use it in our own Authorities to spotlight what is going on in our own back yards.

It would be wonderful if on 24th may parents from all over the UK could get their local rag to run and ASD educational story. If we could do that then we would probably make National News.

I am NOT working for NAS here they have no idea that I am making this public but I will be informing them on Monday that Autism-in-Mind intend to use this Campaign in as many different areas as we can.

Carole

Carole,

If you look at Related Resources on this link

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=346&a=9465

You will find an invite to

"Join our network of campaigners by signing up to our 'Autism Action' database. By joining the Campaigns Network you will

receive regular updates on our policy and lobbying work

find out ways of helping us to campaign"

Nellie xx

My son was interviewed for this.Our local NAS e-mailed members to see if any wanted to contribute.A really lovely lady came all the way from Cambridge ........2 hrs to spend the morning with him.She interviewed him and taped some of his responses and also took his picture.My son has had very negative experiences at school and she was anxious to here about them.....she told me they hoped to use quotes and pictures to put the point across of how our kids felt.Good and bad.........because there are those kids in the right environment who enjoy their schooling.She was interviewing at least 5 others from our group.

i've just signed up too. i know c's only little but i've already started looking around for the right school as i can put his name down for a place from his next birthday and after reading so many people's posts on here i can tell that finding the best school is very important