board

help

hello i was wondering if you could help me i get dla mrc for my daughter for very bad asthma i didnt know that you could get that till she was in hospital and a nurse told me a nice woman done all the froums and we have had it for about 1 year she is on 3 pumps evey day well now we have a dx of aspergers they say she tickd all the boxs so they know thats what she got they said that i sound go for more dla for her but i dont know what to do i am unwell my self i got sarcoidosis it attacks the organs in the body heart lungs brian so on i have fibromyalgia cfs and a lot more so as you can see i could not cope with all the stress so was wonder if any one could help me or do you think i should lave it as it is all the best jill

I think you may be able to get some help in filling in the forms from maybe a citizens advice bureau, or if your local council has a childrens and young peoples service. If you phoned the council offices and explained your situation they may be able to put you on to the right people. I know it's very daunting and you have an awful lot to cope with your own health but sometimes a phone call can open some doors and maybe get you some help. I hope so .

If I understand you right, she is getting Middle Rate care due to asthma and you want to know if you can get more due to a change in her diagnosis?

Presumably, she gets middle rate as she needs frequent help during the day, therefore for her to get higher rate, she needs frequent help at night too. Does she?

DLA rates cause some confusion, but a dx doesn't actually make a difference. The rate depends on how much help she needs from another person. If her condition is worse, you can simply phone DBU and tell them. It is possible to reassess over the phone. If they need more info, they will send you a form. Phone your CAB and ask for a home visit. While you're on, if you don't get DLA for yourself, perhaps you should check if you meet the criteria too?

Shona x

thank you for the help when my daughter was in hospital for her asthma the nurse told me about dla i had a woman on the ward fill them in for me i put on the foum that we are in the middle of trying to find out what was wrong with my daughter i all so told them that she is up 3 to 4 times a night and i have to give her pump and she wakes up frighted and wont go back to sleep she is still in nappies as well if she wakes up wet my husband has to change her and she as to come in our bed she is on 3 pumps a day very high dose they have tryed to lower her pumps put they cant i was thinking of telling the dla becouse she dose need more help than a child of the same age we have to wash dress her the food is the same eveyday she got to have hers frist you cant just go out you got to tell her were we are going you cant change the route to school or she just goes mad she is all right in school at the morment becouse she likes the teacher but she keeps saying that she dose not want to be 7 becouse she will have a new teacher she hits me will hide when people come to the house even family will not talk to her brother be couse he dont live here you only got to say one thing wronge or something happens in school and look out they all say what a shy llittle girl so i video her to she them they could not beleave it all the best to you jill

From what you have said I'd get some help filling in the forms or just ring the DLA people and explain what you have just written. I would expect your entitled to the higher rate and other benefits aswell associated with the higher rate, (Tax Credits, motorbility etc). It seems to me your claim may be a little out of date.

I know these things are not easy and distressing to fill in but I hope you have some success.

Take Care

Also I wasn't aware until recently that my health visitor could assess my sons needs regarding nappies and that he was entitled to free nappies. It may be worth checking if you havn't already. They never tell you but seem more than happy if you approach them.

I live in Hampshire. I don't know if this runs in every county but its worth asking. I would assume so though.

Good Luck again.

Edited by bugbug

thank you for your help i didt know about the nappies i will look in to that i phoned ss to day and they are going to help me with the dla so will let you know how i get on all the best to you jill