Sign in to follow this  
justamom

He's broken his arm

Hi all,

DH said he would watch the kids while i popped off to a boot fair with my folks at about 11ish today. Whilst i had been out Keegan was playing football with his mates, he is usually keeper and one of the boys kicked the ball really hard and he tired to save it but bent his hand backwards and he fell on it... Hubby put a ice pack on it and strapped it up and out he went again.

I got home and saw his arm bandage and wondered what was going on, hubby explained and Keegan said he was fine and got on his bike and went to the park with his mates... Thought nothing more of it because he was ok not complaining, later on he came to me and said "Mom take me to the hospital". I was shocked he has never said that before, he could not lift his arm up and when i took the bandage off it was swollen.

His pain threshold is so high so when he said he was in pain, i knew that we ought to have it checked out. turns out its broken and it will be in a cast for 6weeks... OMG, 6weeks at least its his left arm so he can still write but he is so clusmy with both arms so you can imagine with the use of just one..

I had to bath him earlier, and it was "don't look mom" i can do it, i don't need help leave me to do... I can see us having to go back in a few days because he is gonna get it wet ... I am dreading 6weeks of this..

He is now in the kitchen stimming, was very stressful for him having to wait for 2hrs to be seen then waiting for someone to put a cast on it... I did have a bit of a moan because the lady wanted to put the cast on his right arm and it was his left that is broken... (hubby had to leave the room at this stage) I did say haveto the lady have you read his notes and had to explain to her about his AS and that he was anxious and that everything that she was about to do could she please explain to him so as to put him and easy.

When he is stressed he stammers a lot and he cant get as sentence out tonight with a lot of stammering Poor thing,,he was very good considering .....

Wish me luck for bed time!!! I can see he is gonna be up all night.

Justamom

Poor you, I've just been through all this, they were rather long weeks. He wasn't at school at that time anyway (illegal exclusion) so that part didn't bother him though it obviously did me). I found the most difficult time when he had to change from temparary plaster to longer term one; he was totally not cooperative and my attempt to get a lighter plast cast put on to minimise the danger to others, didn't work.

Keep at it, keep him busy and destracted, and pray and pray. It didn't seem quite so long by the time his came off, it went better than I expected. I hope it will do so for you as well.

Oh dear.I hope the time goes quickly.My daughter fractured her wrist keeping goal when her hand got bent back,too.Although she still plays football,she no longer keeps goal!!xx

Hope the time flies over, when my sister was in plaster I remember my mam bought a catering size roll of clingfilm and a large roll of plastic bags to cover it when she was bathing. I remember it taking ags just to get her bathed and dried but kept the cast dry.

Edited by lil_me

Aww, poor little mite. :(

Hope he settles ok for you tonight and sleeps through. What a stressful day for you all.

My son is exactly the same with having a high pain threshold, when he says he's feeling ill or call the doctor, I know it's serious!! :(

((((HUGS)))) to you both. >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> Oh poor soul, hope hes more settled soon. It must be traumatic for him and you too, specially with ppl not reading notes properly!

Hi ya,

thanks for the replies, today has not been too bad, so far so good... He does still want to go out and play and i have said NO WAY... He is still in alot of pain and he has been resting which is so unlike him, he even took a pain killer...

He is so independent though does not want any help, "I can do it" is what i get... He went to the loo for a number 2 and said he had to tear the toilet paper off by holding his head against the loo roll..... :P I visualized him getting poo all over his cast not a good sight or smell..... :sick:

At least we can laugh in light of the situation.

Cheers guys

Justamom