Sign in to follow this  
av16

Hates School

My AS son (8) really hates school, he's been back for just 2 days and they've not been good. I spent an hour yesterday with the Head, SENCO & class teacher discussing his challenging behaviour- running out of class and around the school, occasional tantrums/screaming & making loud silly noises in class. I decided today to find out what he dislikes about school and we've started a list. He hates it when

- the teacher pretends she doesn't know something just for the 'slow' kids

- he gets cross when other children don't understand things

- the teachers treat him differently to the 'normal' (his word) kids but he can't say how

- he hates it when children show off

- he doesn't like the boys toilets-'they don't look nice'

- after doing work for a while it gets boring and his hand aches from writing

- he doesn't like it if he doesn't get chosen to answer questions/ do something in front of the class etc.

- he doesn't like playtime as he always gets chosen to be 'it'

- he gets upset if there's nothing for school dinner that he likes

This is just the start I think, of getting him to say what he really feels. How do I and the school tackle this lot? For starters I suppose he could have packed lunch.

Do any of your children say things like this? Have you any ideas that could help? The school are trying to get an LSA for him- last one left after a few days- not because of him they said(?), they are getting some support from the local behaviour team and are going to try social stories. I want him to be happy but I don't know how.

Sorry this is so long!

AV

Had very similar things with my son plus the bullying and TA's speaking to him in a demeaning manner, SENCO not understanding his needs, staff not understanding his sensory issues, Head denying he had needs, denying his DIAGNOSIS!!! Loads of exclusions, then a PERMANENT just when I had taken him out over an incident which left him with a very bad bump to the head and a sprained ankle caused by a TA... Do everything you possibly can to make sure he is happy because after my son's experience he doesnt want to go back to any school and to be honest I can understand how he feels, because as mum I have to deal with all the emotions from each experience and I would not wish it on any child or parent.

Yes to the point I've considered changing schools...but the paed thinks it would be the same anywhere and L needs the help to cope. Again they are suggesting social stories and social skills training. They are trying to make lunchtimes more structured for him. We have a home school link book in which he is supposed to be able to write how he feels at the time (but isn't quiet working that way here). Hope you get something sorted for him.

>:D<<'>

It isnt the same everywhere.Beleive me.My son attends a special school and we have absolutley none of the worries youre son has.

We had an awfull year spent at mainstream a year of utter desperation and banging youre head agaisnt a brick wall trying to get people to understand his needs.One of the worst years of my sons life !!!!!!!!!No problems ever at a special school.I wish all parents with spoecial needs kids had the oppertunity to attend a special school i feel so so gratefull and lucky that we have on close by.

I hope things improove for youre son.

>:D<<'>

It isnt the same everywhere.Beleive me.My son attends a special school and we have absolutley none of the worries youre son has.

We had an awfull year spent at mainstream a year of utter desperation and banging youre head agaisnt a brick wall trying to get people to understand his needs.One of the worst years of my sons life !!!!!!!!!No problems ever at a special school.I wish all parents with spoecial needs kids had the oppertunity to attend a special school i feel so so gratefull and lucky that we have on close by.

I hope things improove for youre son.

Paula,

Would you mind me asking what type of special school your son attends?

Brook :)

av, it shouldn't be like this. For starters the school should take this list seriously and make the reasonable adjustments to alleviate his problems. It is something that many people fight for daily (me being one of them!). It's good to keep a record of examples of when the things on the list cause your son problems and distress.

Lauren