Sign in to follow this  
minerva

Barclays email scam ~BEWARE~

I just received this

Dear Sir/Madam,

Barclays Bank PLC. always look forward for the high security of our clients. During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures, we have detected a slight error in your account information.This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information.

2. Submitting invalid information during the initial sign in process.

Due to this, you are requested to please update and verify your information by clicking the link below:

//update.b******s.co.uk ( this link has been disabled ) /olb/p/LoginMember.do

*Important*

We have asked few additional information which is going to be the part of secure login process. These additional information will be asked during your future login security so, please provide all these info completely and correctly otherwise due to security reasons we may have to close your account temporarily.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

J. S. Smith

Security Advisor

Barclays Bank PLC.

Im just about to report it as im 100% sure its a fake. They state on their website that they will include personal information in any correspondance and this doesnt even know my name lol.....so please do not fall for it!!

I get these phishing emails all the time,no bank will send you emails like this,best thing to do is ignore them.

yes i know, the trouble is there are a lot of people who will be fooled by it so its always best to show them what a fake looks like when you get one. :)

Yes absolutley!!i get alot from Ebay and Paypal and also banks that i dont even use, :o I got very worried the 1st time i received one,i agree it is best to warn people and let them know how real they can look :)

The link has mysteriously been taken offline . . .

I smell a big, hairy rat.

These things should always be forwarded to your bank.

Absolutely awful, isn't it?

I've just started my own data protection service to safeguard registered users from such internet fraud. To register just use the following link to enter and submit all your personal banking details via the online form, then e-mail to me at......... ;):devil::devil:

Seriously, phishing is becoming more and more common: As paula(?) pointed out yesterday, even stuff like phoney software upgrades/updates are used... Keep 'em peeled :ph34r:

BD :D

The link has mysteriously been taken offline . . .

i forwarded it to the bank before i posted it on here :)

lil ###### arent they lol

The best way is to only log into secure sites by typing the address directly into the address bar.

Never, ever click on a link in an email to do this, even if you think it is probably genuine.

Simon

Id say if owt ever asks for yer bank details out of the blue apart from when yer buying somet online dont give them out.Itll be a scam.

We once bought a car from the car people anyhows a few days later we gets a call saying that the info given ie bank details were comeing up invalid and could i regive them.I were about to when i thought hey up this could be a con.So i said im sorry but how do i know yer from the car people.Can you tell me what car were buying,colour ,registration ect and whether we had kids with us or not.She passed me security checks and i gave the details.Theyd got the last number written down wrong i asked her to tell me what shed got then corrected the last number.

Pays to be safe.

Yeah, it's a worry isn't it. How did they know you were a customer of that specific bank? Thats very scary!

I think the best way is to remember your bank, ebay, paypal, anything will never ask you to confirm anything by sending you an email. Barclays, Paypal, Ebay etc all have email addresses you can send these email to, most are spoof@*****.co.uk etc but I think barclays is stilghtly different. Last time I contacted barclays about one of these emails she'd just dealt with a lady who had fell for a scam and someone had used her account, ?5000 later she realised something wasn't right, I'd notice if it was ?5.

They don't usually know you are a member of a specific service, I got ones for paypal before I was a member, and ones for barclays before I joined them, I have also had ones for HSBC etc which I don't bank with.

Edited by lil_me