Sign in to follow this  
Tylers-mum

Has the NHS dental service really come to this?

I had an emergency dental appointment this afternoon (4.30pm) b/c I have had very bad toothache over the weekend which got VERY bad lastnight which resulted in my getting not a lot of sleep. My temperary filling had eroded and it basically needed refilling until my next scheduled appointment in June.

Arrive there to find out that my normal dentist (who knows of my fear of dentists, my case etc etc) had left 2wks ago :crying: and in his place was this lady. Firstly she tells T off for eating Quavers and some chews (Umm, anything that keeps him quiet in there is worthwhile in my books!) and then asks me what the problem is. I explain, she tells me to lay back to examine my tooth. Now all the other times I have had a temperary filling, I have been given an anesthetic and then had the tooth cleaned out and refilled. Today was the total opposite, she didn't clean it, didn't give me an anesthetic and all she did do was pack it with a tenp filling. Told me to press down on the tooth (bite) but I couldn't b/c that's too painful. You'd think she'd have done something else but instead, all I got was a 'if any more problems, come back'. :wallbash: Needless to say, the pain has returned so I know that I'll have yet another sleepless night, be in pain that meds an't so far touched the edge of and be unable to eat AGAIN. I've hardly eaten these past 3 days.

Considering changing dentists now but heck, that's if I can find one taking on NHS patients.

I really do sympathize with you T's mum i am petrified of dentists and to have somebody that does not understand how you feel is just awful.... I avoid them like the plague but when you are in pain you dont mind going to see them just to ease it a bit.....

I know what you mean changing dentist means that you might not find a NHS one and how long will you have to wait to get another app... Perhaps you could go back tomorrow and see someone else with alot more sympathy hopefully...

Hope you are ok and not into much pain...

Justamom

When we moved a few years ago, not a single dentist in our new town were accepting NHS patients. We had to continue to stay registered with our previous dentist 20 miles away. Go back tomorrow and be adamant that you are in pain and need a permanent filling, not a temporary one. They will see you and sort it as they can't just leave you in pain. Sometimes you just have to make sure they understand the detrimental effect the pain is having and that you cannot tolerate it any longer. Ask to see another dentist at the practice if thats possible, you never know?? Fingers crossed for you and take care,

Debs