Sign in to follow this  
madme

Dr Greenspan

Has anyone tried his " Floortime" idea? I gather his book is due out soon. Is there anyone i the Uk using his ideas? Have thought might try with NT 5 year old daughter who has playground difficultes and awaiting assessment. Thanks

Greenspan's 'The Child with Special Needs' was one of the very first books I read that actually gave me the tools I needed to help my son. We use the principles of Floortime every day. He has a weekly radio broadcast on his website which is wonderfully full of technical glitches: knocked mics, phones ringing. He always makes me smile.

Is this the 'floortime' that is in the book 'the boy who loved windows'?

I read this book a while ago, so cant remember, but the name rings a bell.

Brook

The latest book was published 5/6th May - I pre-ordered fom Amazon so it should be here today (fingers crossed!). :D I didnt know about the radio though so will be tuning in!!

I found Stanley Greenspan were the first books I read that really made sense to me. If you're the sort of person who needs things to 'fit together' well theoretically, I find the theory and the practice are crystal clear. All the bits I've tried with my little one have worked well, including teaching him how to point, increasing his use of eye contact, etc - so I'm a fan. I havnt really set up the programme properly yet either and already its been effective so although he pushes lots of hours of floortime, dont be disheartened - I think a little of this good stuff is ok too.

:D

We started doing Floortime in 1999. It was not tailored towards autism back then, but very adaptable towards the child so worked/works for us. Best of all it was available for the price of a book and a little dedication. :)

With the radio show, just put it on and listen in background. There are a couple of long gaps at the start and Dr Greenspan's delivery is ponderous.

This is big here in the US, and a lot of people in my area are incorporating the ideas in it with varying levels of success with their toddlers. Training/strict regimen or no a lot of it just makes sense for all child development purposes.