Sign in to follow this  
Eva

Poor social skills

Hi everyone,

thank you for your warm welcomes!!

Well, what a day. First we had my neighbour's son 2nd birthday party and I had to follow my 5 year old son around for the first half hour, telling him what's appropriate behaviour and what's not. He does really annoying things such as kicking toys, trying to push over things and 'crashing'. That's when he falls down in leaves or mud, (I suspect he got that from Thomas the Tank Engine, because the engines crash all the time). Anyway, he got a bit better and at least stopped trying to overturn everything.

At kinder there was an excursion to a local park and Joe was totally detached from the other kids. Not that I mind as such, that's him, but how much should social interaction be encouraged? I mean, if he wants to be by himself should I just let him do what he wants, (at the park he just wanted to play the crashing game so I spent a fair bit of time persuading him not to bodysurf in the mud , sigh), or should I try to encourage him to play with others? Joe's fine with a structured game as there is a clear beginning and end, but he has no idea how to relate to other kids. I find it very tiring having to follow him round a lot of the time.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts on this matter!

Cheers,

Eva

Is he the kind of child that can "learn" behaviours?? Is it bothering anyone else that he isn't joining in - or is it just you that is bothered?

Is he learning from what you have already told him re what is appropriate and what isn't? If so, you can use this as a base.

Good questions Stephanie - got me thinking. Yes he can learn 'appropriate' behaviours sometimes, so I need some guidance how to teach them effectively. In regards to social expectations from others and myself, other people do comment on it but I just smile and shrug these days if I don't know them well. I also have to remind myself that socially he's at a 2.5-3 year old level although he's advanced in other areas - very uneven development.

Thanks for your reply,

Eva

I found with my son when he was alot younger he didn't like to interact with the other children that much. We started off with one child and I would play alongside them or playschool worker would and then built up on it with more children. Once he had learnt how toplay along side others it did get easier but it was a long process. Now he can quite happily play with others but it's got to the stage he wants someone with him all the time. Another thing that worked quite well was to distract and get him into a area where there wasn't alot that he could thrown, overturn etc.

Edited by stressedmumto2