lizzie

Fruitcake!!

Hi everyone, My 11yr old is going through a phase at the moment of wanting to bake tarts etc,(with my supervision!) He has done cookies and jam tarts and mince pies, now he wants to start baking cakes( I cant bake a cake to save my life!!!) However, a few years ago I had a recipe for a fruitcake that was so easy even I could make it!! It was such a simple recipe which involved putting all the ingredients in a bowl and mixing it!!! So simple!! Problem is, my senile old brain cant remember what the ingredients were or the quantities!! If anyone has this recipe or any others as simple, I would be really grateful, I dont want K's first effort of cake baking to be a disaster, cos he is quite easily put off!! Thank you!! Lizzie xx

This one looks to be dead easy.

Bizarrely it's in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - everything you might ever want to know!

enjoy

nemo

Thanks for that Nemo, it does look really easy, just off to get ingredients :D Lizzie xx

Hi Lizzie,

With a kitchen the size of a postage stamp, I only do easy recipes! :D

Try this really simple one as well, using all bran, but you'd never know from the final result. It's less rich than a normal fruit cake, and I actually prefer it.

4oz/ 125g all bran

5oz/ 150g castor sugar

10oz / 300g mixed dried fruit

4oz/ 125g self raising flour

half pint of milk

Mix bran, sugar and fruit together

Stir in milk

Leave for 30 mins

Sift flour and stir in

Put in 1kg loaf tin

Bake at 350 F /180 C for 1 hour.

Enjoy!

K x

FRUIT CAKE

1 lb (400g) dried mixed fruit

1 mug hot black tea

1 mug soft brown sugar

2 mugs self-raising flour

1 beaten egg

Soak the dried fruit overnight in the tea. The next day, mix all ingredients, then place into a 2 lb (800g) loaf tin or round cake tin. Bake for 2 hours at 160 deg. C, 325 deg. F, or Gas Mark 3.

This cake can be frozen. Defrost before eating. :D

Hey - sort of related...

Did any of you ever get involved in that 'German Friendship Cake' thingy of the late eighties/early 90's? It was the equivelent of a culinary chain letter...

You'd receive a pkage in the post containing a 'live' quantity of yeasted fruit cake, which you would top up ingredients wise and leave to prove... You then divided the mixture in half, cooked your cake with one half and divided the other into four and posted off to friends (or possibly enemies?)... Think I've got the recipe somewhere... :lol::lol::lol:

L&P

BD

Hey - sort of related...

Did any of you ever get involved in that 'German Friendship Cake' thingy of the late eighties/early 90's? It was the equivelent of a culinary chain letter...

Zemanski intoduced me to that one, and she got it from a real live German :dance:

Hey - sort of related...

You'd receive a pkage in the post containing a 'live' quantity of yeasted fruit cake, which you would top up ingredients wise and leave to prove... You then divided the mixture in half, cooked your cake with one half and divided the other into four and posted off to friends (or possibly enemies?)... Think I've got the recipe somewhere... :lol::lol::lol:

Was this for real?? It sounds utterly disgusting. :o:sick:

K x

I was going to say you were both fruit cakes...........thought I better check it out first.

You're both talking sense for once. :o

http://www.recipezaar.com/26995

Hey... A NEW competition!!! CHALLENGE DELIA!!! If she can come up with a GF/DF version, everyone on the forum ('cept me and nemo 'cos we've been there/done it :devil::devil: ) has to have a go :lol::lol::lol:

And as for that 'talking sense for once' :o:o:o:shame::shame::shame:

Incidently, there is another variation: The English mouldy victoria sandwich cake... This was the one your mum would make on a Sunday then forget about until Thursday or Friday and then wouldn't be able to 'bring herself' to throw in the bin... So she's cut off all the green, furry bits and serve it up for pudding disguised with a dollop of custard :lol::lol::lol:

If challenged, she would say: "We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die", oblivious to the fact that 'dirt' and 'mildew' aren't exactly related...

L&P

The galloping (gutrot) gourmet ;)

Hey... A NEW competition!!! CHALLENGE DELIA!!! If she can come up with a GF/DF version, everyone on the forum ('cept me and nemo 'cos we've been there/done it :devil::devil: ) has to have a go :lol::lol::lol:

Be warned, if any of ya send me a pile of old dough through the post, you'll receive it back by return with precise instructions as to what to do with it. :angry::ph34r::devil:

If you REALLY want to show me friendship, a nice bottle of red and a box of dark choccies will do fine, thanks. :)

K x

My recipe for a complete fruitcake.

1 large overweight male

2 teenage girls, 1 AS

1 pre-teen girl

1 small volatile AS boy (around 5 yrs old)

Various furred, feathered and scaled animals.

Shove into a 3 bedroom house. Abandon them to struggle with what life throws at them. Then stir in a bit of professional "help" leaving them totally gobsmacked and bewildered.

Hey presto you have the perfect fruit cake. ME :o

Edited by Viper

Hi everyone, Thats what I love about this forum, most people on here havent got what you would call, the easiest of lives, but they still have their sense of humour :D:D I thought when I first posted for a fruitcake recipe, it might just attract the forum fruitcakes, and it did!! Viper your recipe had me in stitches!! :lol::lol: and the rest of you...............your just nuts arent you?!!! :P Thanks again you lot, I got some good recipes and a ###### good laugh into the bargain!!! :D Lizzie xxxx

hello gemma here

the family favourite we have which is so easy absolutely anyone can make it is a fatless sponge cake

ingredients are

3 eggs

4 and 1/2 ounces of castor sugar

4 and 1/2 ounces of self raising flour.

method

beat eggs and sugar till thick and creamy (the longer you can do this the bigger the sponge)

fold in the flour a little at a time and very gently also.

put in greased tins in a pre-heated oven on 200oc or 400of, gas mark 6 for 15 mins

*do not open oven before time is up it will go flat*

the best bit is you can add any colour and flavour u like. ive done some lovely orange and purple ones when i was younger which all adds to the fun for the kids

hope this helps

gemma B)