LizK

Appealing statement

Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing and the situation won't arise but it's been nagging me so thought I'd ask.

We're going through the statementing procedure with DS1 (4yrs), reports are in and should hear whether we are successful by the end of the month. The Ed Psych initially applied for the statement. I've been told that because she applied for it and he was a preschooler at the time it is highly likely he will get granted a statement. However the LEA has been issuing Notes in Lieu that read like statements or issuing extremely vague statements that don't mean much. I know if a parent applies for a statement they have the right to appeal but given that the EP applied for ours what are our rights if we either get given a Note in lieu or don't agree with what the statement says. Can we still appeal?

Was told by someone today that the LEA may well not issue one if they feel the school is meeting DSs needs which worries me. They are currently funding 25hrs LSA on SA+ so in one sense they are meeting his needs. However I'm sure DS will need input from Autistic Outreach and without a statement he will be lower priority and he'll get more ST and OT if it's written into the statement. His teacher is supportive of him getting a statement too. School have been great so far but am worried that because they have been good we might end up not getting a statement.

Lx

Liz,

We were in similar situation. Our daughter attended a private nursery. The Ed Psych went to assess her, and had concerns that the environment wasn't suitable for her. She suggested we consider moving her to an assessment nursery, within a mainstream primary school in next town. We went to have a look round, and were impressed, so agreed to move. The Ed Pysch had previously applied to get the Statement process started. She had not at that point received an ASD diagnosis. She still got her Statement Liz, even though her needs were being met and and even though she hadn't been diagnosed, except with DMD. From what I remember though, the Statement decision came within days, and was needed for transport to be provided. I also remember a conversation with LEA stating that as the Statement was being decided, due to go to panel, we couldn't move our daughter until they agreed. I'm afraid i can't offer any advice re. notes of lieu, as we havn't faced this.

Debs x