Sign in to follow this  
Tilly

Sensory Smarts

I'm reading a book called Sensory Smarts.

Much of it is written from the perspective of a 12 year old who has suffered from sensory integration.

If you can borrow a copy from your local library I would give it a read. It is very enlightening to hear it from the horses mouth.

SENSORY SMARTS (A Book for Kids with ADHD or Autism Spectrum Disorders Struggling with Sensory Integration Problems)

Tilly

Hi Tilly

I am a firm believer that the sensory issues our kids suffer from can impact just as much as their autism and that is why we are hoping to attract some funding to the local group to help parents who have children with these issues.

Off to go and seek out the book :D Thanks

Oracle

I'll have to look that one up too - I beleive sensory issues are central to autism and cause most of the behaviours and deficits our kids have (some of their strengths too :) )

have you tried Olga Bogdashina's book - sensory and perceptual issues in autism and AS?

I heard her speak today and had the opportunity to talk about prosopagnosia with her, she is wonderful and makes perfect sense to me

Zemanski

I've read this book an American friend sent it over for me it was brilliant to read it from as you say "the horses mouth"

Fortunately for me my ds school understand the big issues concerning the senses and are quite happy for ds to pop in his earplugs when needed. I also know that the assembly hall had to be relined with a certain walling to lessen the vibration/accoustics sounds etc.

I found it a very positive easy read and I showed some of it to ds.

Gardenia