Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Info for 14yr old AS girl??

Hi Smileylab,

My daughter was only diagnosed the end of last year - she's nearly 13 now and although she's been made aware of Aspergers etc - she isn't very questioning about it. I did buy a couple of books though - Freaks, Geeks etc by Luke Jackson and another by Kenneth Hall, (The universe and everything - or something similar to that title) - which she has since read and felt reassured to know that she is not alone.

Take care,

Jb

Thanks jb :D ,

I didn't realize how little info there is for girls!

I've given her our copy of Freak, Geeks and a couple of others.

I cant find anything specifically for girls - how annoying!

Thanks jb :D ,

I didn't realize how little info there is for girls!

I cant find anything specifically for girls - how annoying!

"Martian in the Playgorund" is written by a girl/young lady: Clare Sainsbury.

If you look on www.jkp.com

there is a book "The people in a Girl's Life" that may be useful.

There are also several fiction books on there that may be relevant.

Karen

Hi Smileymab,

You're right, there isn't as much out there specifically for girls. Presumably you're looking for something to help her understand the condition? I havent found the female equivalent of Freaks, Geeks and AS etc. There are a number of good autobiographies written by women, which my daughter has found very helpful, but they are probably a bit much for a newly dx person to take in. I think the most readable for a young person is Leanne Holliday Willey who has written a few books about her childhood and adult life as a mother: two of her daughters are on the spectrum too, as far as I remember.

I'll ask L if she has any particular recommendations. Perhaps I could get her to write a Luke Jackson equivalent for girls! :lol: .

Kx

I'll ask L if she has any particular recommendations. Perhaps I could get her to write a Luke Jackson equivalent for girls! :lol: .

Kx

Hi JK,

Sounds like a plan to me - :dance:

It is for her to understand herself better. She has a pretty good understanding of AS (her and my son get on like a house on fire!), so i wanted to give her something from a female perspective. I've gone for Martians on the playground to begin with (Ta K xx) - i'll check out Leanne Holliday Willey too.

Thanks x