Sign in to follow this  
Elouise

The Selfish Pigs Guide to Caring

For those of us who NEVER intended to apply to be full time un-qualified, underpaid carers.

This book is a must.

{Yes I had a small amount of dosh left over from paying for yet another new mattress for Nathan and I treated myself instead of buying him yet another spinney twiddly thing with the change}

Its not written on how to care for ASD its written for Carers by a carer and its all about YOU , how to stay sane{ish} how to resist the temptation to 'push them down the stairs' when burnout begins. How to stay calm dealing with beaurocracy

How to say no to all those stunning scial events you KNOW your buddle of nihilistic joy will have a 'little moment' over for the whole of the following week over....and its funny if like me your humour got reset on black after the fifth time the smoke alarms went off one evening when Nathan toasted the plastic spatula....AGAIN whilst trying to make ME cheese of toast. :blink:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...1722875-4574364

PS its cheaper on the shelf at Waterstones.(?6.99)

PS its cheaper on the shelf at Waterstones.(?6.99)

You can get a new copy of this (under the "new and used" section on Amazon) for ?4

I've ordered a copy! I'm always looking for ways to have a quieter life :D

My little piglet is currently sat like butter wouldn't melt :wub: but we all know how that can change :rolleyes:

that sounds well good,im ordering a copy,i need all the help i can get,thanks for that

I got my book a couple of days ago and have been reading it whenever I've had a moment, it is really good, I've recommended it elsewhere too :)

I love this book, it helped keep me sane during a horrible time last year.

Sadly, the authors wife is now in a nursing home.

Lorainexx

I hope that writing the book has helped him as much it is helping other people, it must be so hard to hand the caring over to a nursing home even when you know it's the best thing for everyones well being.

I've just been sent this book by a friend! cooincidence or what?

I've had a quick scan through it and there appears to be lots of useful information and advice.

I have a bit of a problem about calling the caree a piglet though :huh: I know he does it affectionatley and it's synonymous with the title, but one of my most hated insults is to call someone a pig!!! Now to call yourself tongue in cheek a 'selfish pig' is ok, because it's self parodying, but to call someone else (especially a disabled dependent) a pig or piglet makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm uncomfortable with anything that dehumanises disabled people.

Have I completely lost my sense of humour, or does anyone else feel that way???

Apart from that though the book seems really informative and supportive

Lauren :D

...compared to some of the names I have called Nathan on discovering his efforts at 'cooking' and 'cleaning' and the fact it takes me an hour to clean up after he makes me a cup of tea *please do NOT ask ...shudders...the saucepan and the ceiling will NEVER be the same again*

believe me Piglet is MUCH nicer.

And I have called Annie Piglet since she was born as she is kind of small and is the runt of the litter and rather like Piglet from Winnie the Pooh.

I find some of the tripsy overself from PC'ness more cringe making. Watching Nathns Social Worker trying to find the 'postive' thing to say about his 'more difficult aka CHALLENGING behaviours is to watch an art form in the making. Bless the lad.

Elouise, don't get me wrong. Some of the pc madness makes me shudder.

I guess it's just one of my 'things' :D

Lauren

ps.. also I'm not exactly Mother Theresa but I never ever call my kids names

Edited by Lauren