Sign in to follow this  
mc31

Food! I hate meal times now!

Hi

its been a while since my last visit, im hoping someone, anyone can shed any light on my new problem, no not new problem, old one that has just got worse.....

my daughter at every meal time including breakfast wants something to eat, she will ask for something (which can be quite difficult with communication difficulties) i will prepare it for her or if its something she can get for herself she will do that and the next minute the food stuff is Yuk!!!!! she then repeats this over and over again whilst crying on the floor having one almighty tantrum... this is becoming a problem as she is quite a thin child (always has been) and also what on earth do i try and feed her. :tearful: ive tried letting her get involved and make sarnies, put her dinner on the baking tray, which she will do, or it will be just an out and out No way am i eating that! ( my words ) we have been using pecs symbols for a while so ive asked her what she wants in advance but this is also getting the same reaction.

many thanks

i feel better just for sounding off! :blink:

mc

Our dd will only eat the same food at every meal time. Same breakfast, lunch, tea and supper. Been like that for years. But she rarely asks for something and then says she doesn't want it, so Im afraid I can't offer you any advice on that one. Sure someone on the forum will have faced this and will be able to offer you some great advice. Take care.

well my son was a very good eater when small but hes going funny about food too now,he will eat boiled eggs/fried/and frozen cheese omlettes from tesco-lol

and he is also wanting it again and again-we r down to hardly any veg-now carrots and peas are out,he will eat some fruit.

i buy minedex its like a tonic to build them up-and i think its worked a bit.

bread sticks are good .

i found if i just chopped up snack type stuff and put a few different things on a plate and left them on a table -and didnt put pressure on it worked a bit.like finger food things,those phillipdelphia mini pots-with couple bread sticks,small pizza cut up in strips,ect....

Are there any (healthy) things which she consistently likes, which you could produce when you feel she has gone too long without food. E can be very fussy about what she eats, but she loves cereal, home made rice pudding and yoghurt so if she hasn't eaten much we will often provide these at bedtime to make sure she isn't going to bed too hungry and has some vitamins inside her. The only other thing I can suggest is supplementing her meals with a multi-vitamin to make sure she is at least getting nutrients - your GP should be able to prescribe one in powder form which you could just dissolve in her drink if getting her to take tablets is an issue. We have done this in the past, but don't seem to need it at present

Hi

thanks for replies, c is only coming up 4yr old, she was never an eater of cheese products, so they were out long ago, not for want of me trying recently, but they kind of make her gag. :blink:

milk also is a no-no, but sometimes she will decide on trying a small cup of it, trial and error in my house, we have just got back from shopping at rainbow just to try to find something for her to eat, we came back with a couple of different jams and also some mini rolls (chocolate).

she has eaten today 1 satsuma, oh and the insides of a few pieces of garlic bread, but this was after she had a tantrum saying yuk yuk yuk (roll on floor) scream, yuk scream yuk oh and then loads a tears!

i find she also says yuk to things she has not even tried! but trying to tell her its Yum, dont work!!!

been to docs also, they were unconcerned because her height is good.....

mc

hello, when my son was 4/5 he was the same, he would only have one drink a day, and was very fussy hardly eating or speaking. to cut a long story short (he was very underweight) It suddenly dawned on me that his teacher didnt like him, although he liked school (the routine) I then decided to change schools and found a small one with a teacher who used to teach autistic kids.. the school ate good dinners there and suddenly he would eat anything, and he started talking, he is now 9 and still putting on weight and quite big really. I found that it was school and schooldinners making him be fussy, like if everyone around him was eating well then he did, the better the food the more able he became.. do i make any sense. recentley the dinner lady changed and he was regressing, i have now put him on pack lunches so i know hes not eating rubbish

as for my middle one who is not as. he wont eat either and i am battling with that at the moment

Hi mc31,

My daughter has been under a Paed. since birth for failure to thrive due to her eating habits and until the past year her weight has always been critical (she's nearly 13). Over the past few years her eating habits have definitely improved and she will now ask for food or a drink.

When you say she's asking for all this and then saying it's yuk - is she actually tasting it - or is it before she eats it. I'm only thinking whether her throat is sore or something where she can't taste her food properly and it's all tasting yukky.

Take care,

Jb