Sign in to follow this  
Amelia

how/where to change

Hi

We have just been out for the day in a city centre. DS is nearly 4 but still wears nappies. I found it difficult to find somewhere suitable to change him. He was too large to fit on most of the baby changing tables etc. I was a bit concerned about just laying him on a dirty floor even with his changing mat that I carry with us.

It must be even more difficult as they grow older and still need nappies.

Looking for advice

Probably not much help, but I work with young adults with learning difficulties, and for those still using pads, etc, we change them standing up.

Bid :bat:

hi

i used to change my boy standing up too-if we was out and no where to change -id just find a quite spot -i found it easier with large size nappies cause i could just wip the old one of quick and put a clean one on easy without pulling the pants off-just used to pull them down-if u get me -pull ups are good too but u have to get there trousers off /and shoes if need be and my son hated me doing this.

after a while u get real quick at it -i used to carry nappies round in my bag and some wipes and nappie bags ,just a few for your journey out .

Like others have said... if your boy will stand (or kneel 'up') while being changed then go with that one, bit more dignified too especially if he is still needing to have help to get changed when he is grown up as that way you can face away from the person helping and have a little bit more privacy. I know a couple of people whose preferred way of getting changed is 'standing' on their knees - one can stand up on his own and one can't.

Also some places do have a grownup-sized changing bench for people that do need to lie down to get changed, airports and big rail stations, most swimming pools... and the Trafford Centre in Manchester has got a really super-duper one with a posh hoist and a loo that washes and dries your bum for you and all sorts.

Pull ups, or I find the Pampers Bed mats and other bed pads much bigger/better for changing on, the Pampers ones are lot less heavy. Luckily he doesn't need them often now, but I take things like that on holiday for changing clothes etc.