Sign in to follow this  
Tylers-mum

How can I confirm police check (CRB) legitacy??

T is having a birthday party on Saturday and I've booked an entertainer qualified in special needs (ex teacher) etc etc.

He's given me his CRB Disclosure No but I don't know how to check it's legit etc. Is there any way of doing this online?? How can I check it at such short notice??

Called the police station and they said that Data Protaction might be able to help but it takes 5 working days which is not good for me. :( I havta call back tomorrow (as it's closed at this time) in the hope they can fast track it for me but I'm not holding up much hope.

Can anyone help please???

Edited by Tylers-mum

Are you planning to leave them alone with the entertainer? If not you don't really need to worry as you will have other trusted adults around. Even in schools not everyone is checked, only if they are actually going to be alone with children - one off visitors are always supervised, otherwise it would be impossible to bring people, parents for example, into school for trips and things

It's unlikely that they would give you an invalid number but rather than go through all the formal hassle why don't you just ask the entertainer to bring the document with them, or pop round with it beforehand?

Zemanski

You could also try giving the Criminal Records Bureau a call - they won't be able to tell you if someone has been checked (data protection) but they might be able to confirm whether the number is a valid one (although it could belong to someone else).

Thanks both.

I never thought to ask him to bring it along with him! Duh me!! LOL

He will not be left alone with the kids, I have no intentions of leaving him alone anyway. There are going to be ample adults there inc me, other parents, the lady and hubby who own the club etc. :D

Thanks again Zemanski and Elanor.

It'll be too late now but the important thing to remember with CRB checks is they aren't a passport that says this person is safe with children, all they mean is they haven't been caught or are under investigation at the moment. Even if the adult shows you the declaration (doesn't have to under data protection - and you can't assume the worse if he doesn't - it could lead to discrimination hearings) it should only be looked at in context with everything else you know about the adult - references etc.

Most important thing to remember is will that adult be left alone in a care relationship with your child? If no, because you are there, I wouldn't worry. If yes, I'd be damn sure I knew as much as I could about the adult before allowing access.

Generally 10 or 15 mins at a party wouldn't be a risk, statistically most abusers take time to get to know their victims which is what makes them more dangerous because you and the children trust them.

My opinion, and understanding from the training we've had at work.

R

Just going to add their are two types of CRB checks.

the ordinary one *ie for normal part time youth work, childrens entertainers etc* and the extended one aimmed at those who work with extremely vulnerable youngsters (ie those who have already suffered!)

Needless to say the latter is more expensive and can take months to do and is only essential for residential seetings.