Sign in to follow this  
jen

second IEP

Does any one have a second IEP for their child which rolls over from year to year. For example my child always attends school on the teacher training day to meet his teacher sit at his desk etc, he then misses the first school day so he avoids all the confusion. The week before half term my child needs to be taken out of the classroom for the majority of the sessions to prevent sensory overload. At the end of the school term my child misses the last day of term due to it not being stuctured. During exams my child comes out after 10 minutes to bounce a ball than goes back in to finish off his work. This ensures he can complete the full test instead of getting tired and frustrated.

I am in the process of discussing this with my childs senco teacher and LSA. The aim is to prevent things happening because of the time of year.

His normal IEP is what the teacher, LSA and parents are aiming for him to do within a set time period.

Jen

What you describe isn't really what I would call an IEP as such. It is more akin to a Behaviour Support Plan (BSP) and, to be honest, not a bad one either! BSP will see strategies put in place to enable a child to cope with whatever it maybe that causes them a problem. Can't quite see why they have him in for PD days and not the start of term...that said if it works, don't knock it!

I have never heard of this being done, but what a great idea!

Now this is what inclusion really should be about!

I am meeting with the head of the ASD outreach team on Monday to do a pupil profile for Luke for whatever school he ends up at in september (secondary)

I might mention this to her.

my son suffers from alot of sensory problems so the plan is to prevent sensory overload hence ensuring he can access his education and prevent sensory overload.

Missing the first offical day at school in September makes a hugh difference and reduces his sensory overload.

Jen