Sign in to follow this  
Martian Martian

Tales from the Toilet

I know this is a subject to trigger involuntary shivers even in the most battle-hardened veteran,

but the world we occupy is a continuum of little breakthroughs, setbacks, occasional triumphs,

disasters, depression and elation - so when something major happens, I feel like stripping naked

and running up and down Sauchiehall Street precinct yelling at the top of my voice.

Since that type of behaviour is frowned upon as being non-conformist, and Sauchiehall Street is

not yet ready to absorb the magnificence of my naked form, I'm going to yell at the top of

my voice on the internet instead. Fully-clothed. Hope you don't mind!

We started toilet training Tom a few months ago. He's three-and-a-half and non-verbal.

Our initial attempts were pretty useless - his bladder seemed to have the capacity of a large bouncy castle,

and he wasn't keen on co-operating. It was difficult to predict when he would go,

and consequently the living room carpet soaked up a fair number of accidents. Yummy.

Eventually, the good lady's patience ran out, and she decided to be cruel to be kind.

A couple of difficult sessions followed, where he was repeatedly returned to the toilet until a result

was obtained. After that trauma, he decided that resistance was futile.

All we had to do was ask if he needed a pee, and he would follow us.

A pull-up was still required for Number 2s. Once the business was done, we would take him to the toilet,

empty the nappy, flush and say 'bye bye' as it made it's final journey to poo heaven.

Last week, it all clicked into place! Maybe Tom has realised that this is another way to exhibit

his strong independent streak - I don't know, but as if by magic, he has taken it upon himself

to go to the toilet alone without any parental prompting. Both numbers. One and two!

Night-time has been fantastic! If he needs to go, he'll come through to our room and

one of us will take him to the bathroom. In three weeks of sleeping without nappies, he's only had one accident.

If six months ago someone had suggested Tom would be toilet-trained by now I would have laughed and crossed my eyes.

But now, my wee man is a superstar on the toilet!!

Edited by Martian Martian

:D:D:D

Fantastic stuff.

Just shows never ever think something cannot or will never ever be done.

These kids take small steps but eventually they get there.

Oh yes, I definately can identify with your elation. I would have gladly swapped a major lottery win for my ds to poo in the toilet.

YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY well done Tom (and mum and dad!)

Elaine