Sign in to follow this  
gladysmay

financail help and fe college

Hi, my son has been offered a place at an FE College, I am still arguing about the unit structure of this course but my other problem is that he was out of any form of education for the whole of the current academic year because he was too ill, awating assessmet and waiting for interviews from local colleges. In that time he turned 19 and now I have to pay for his course, his travel, will not be able to apply for EMA either even though the government has extended payment for all students continuing to age 20 up to the end of that year, and any relevant CTC etc all ties in together. This happens with my daughter who is just 11 months younger. They are arguing that the governments criteria is that you have to have been in college already, so you are covered if you are taking 2 years say to do a course as long as you started it while still actually 18. I feel this is unfair as my son was in college and registered with connexions the whole time but he was just basically ignored after he finished his first year of college and came to a total meltdown as a result of no support etc, now he is back on track with support to study the financial issues are a problem for me. Can I appeal or has anyone any advice?

Edited by gladysmay

Hi Gladysmay,

Sorry, I have no specific advice to offer here but I've found this website useful:

Skill (National Bureau for students with disabilities). They also have a helpline.

Here is a link to their FAQ's with information on FE and funding.

I'm still getting to grips with the whole post 16 system myself but it does seem unfair. From what you've said, your son was officially at college during this time, and only took time off due to illness. I think it's definitely worth appealing this. As a disabled student he should be entitled to transport help anyway. Is he on any other benefits?

K x

many thanks for advice and links from all, yes, he is receiving DLA and has recently been awarded Incap Ben in his own right but he will lose this when he begins college and probably most of the DLA I think? Skill have sent me some info re the discrimination in the level of course offered but have not asked about the funding question yet. He does have medical certs to cover him for the whole perios he was out of education.

He should NOT loose his DLA unless he attends a residential special colege.

If he goes to a residential specilaist college then its pro-rata; he gets DLA for the weeks when he is at home but not when staying residential (the DLA pays for a small part of the care fees)

If he stays at home and goes to college he is entitiled to DLA.

He is also entitled to make a claim on the disabled student grant.

Get in touch with connexions again and keep pushing untill you get hold of someone wth more experiance of assisting a student with disabilities to get what they need. An ordinary less experianced connexions adviosr will not know as much but if you encourage them to ask and have a look you would be grateful as would your son the results are usually better.

Even if he goes to a residential college, the mobility part of his DLA is not paid pro rata, in other words it's still paid every week regardless of whether he is at college or at home.

Bid :bat:

Edited by bid

I think there is also a CRISIS loan you can apply for if you have financial problems in supporting him. With this loan you do not have to pay it back. I know a women who use to work in this area so I can ask her for more details if you want.

Jen

thnaks this is really useful, I havent heard from my connexions personal adviser for ages despite emailing, sending letters and leaving messages - has she left I wonder, how do I get a new one.

We are on our 4th Connexions person in three years - and we haven't met two of them!

If you call your local area Connexions office, they should be able to tell you who is your allocated person.

Karen