Sign in to follow this  
Mother in Need

Income Support work focussed interview

Having lost my business 6 months ago due to all the problems with my AS son and school and no help from SS etc etc etc I have since been trying to get income support. Nearly 6 months without income, and they're still making it difficult, and still haven't paid a penny. They have now asked me to attend a 'work focussed interview'.

I am sure I have read, quite some time ago, that single parents (me) and carers (me) do NOT need to attend these.

Would anyone know where I actually stand on this? I will attend if I can, but would like to know the rules/law regarding this so I can force their hand, so to speak.

not sure, they might have changed the rules but cannot make you actually jobhunt etc. have you tried the dwp website or jobcentre plus website, if not the child poverty action group have good info on such things. :)

I am on IS and since my youngest have been 11 (or 12?) I have been asked to go in for a chat about work once a year. They just ask if I have thought about work (I woudl love to, and know what I want to do and how to go about it), and if I need any help/info. Last year, once I told the woman I have two children with AS, she just said "well you won't be able to work then" (in a nice way) and that was it for another year. If you claim Carer's Allowance, they can't chase you to think about work, and so far it not compulsory for single parents to try to get a job.

Karen

i'm a single mum on I.S. went to one of these work focus things last sept,talked about what sort of job i would like to do when i went back to work,which i was planning to do when DD was 3 in feb,well lady from job centre rang me at end of Jan to tell me of a job that was coming up,iexplained DD might be autistic (she wasn't dx till april)and staight away she she said"dont worry,will put a note on computer,u wont be contacted again but if u want any help later,maybe when DD goes to school just give me a ring"and that was that,i do know single mums of NT children are expected to go bk to work when youngest child is 9yrs.

Thanks for the replies. that is encouraging. So far I have been treated worse than a doormat (I'd say on the same level of those 'inhabited' doggie bags...) and I am getting so pissed of with it. But I have to stay nice, this is a 6 months back-payment by now (their fault not mine) we are talking about...

But what about the law though, regarding this?

Thanks Gladysmay, searched through those but did not find anything useful.

Hi M.I.N. -

I think the law chaged recently and it is compulsary to attend, but they are pretty understanding once you've explained... If you have real difficulties attending an appointment, you can probably sort it out by phone, but attending once a year for 30 mins is probably worth it to find out what new directives have come into play...

L&P

BD

Hello,

Take a look at this brilliant site, www.welfarerights.net. It is full of up to date information and if you visit the message boards any questions are answered quickly. Its worth a look for anyone not sure about benefits etc.

Cheers,

Loraine

M.I.N

I wouldn't have a clue to the answer on this, but I did a google and it came up with:

Welfare benefits Advice:

http://www.eoc-law.org.uk/Default.aspx?page=2831

Scroll down to 'Claiming Income Support as a lone parent or carer'.

It does say that lone parents cannot be forced into work if they dont want to,

but I think you may still have to attend the interview and explain your situation.

Brook

Welfare Rights also will have an office in your area, and so will Citizens Advice, I would try WR first then CAB, shocking what they have put you through so far

I left a question on the welfare rights board two days ago now, but still have had no answer. There is a good citizen advice burea 12 miles down the road, but they have limited opening times and I am not sure if I can get there before Monday.

Most of what I have come across via those sites mentioned and others is rather vague on the whole subject, they cannot force you into work etc, well I have heard that one before.

When I was approached regarding maintenance payments and i wanted an interview with them to avoid this, they first made me two appointments at totally inappropriate times (I mean, I am really going to discuss how scared I have been of my ex etc with the boys present...) and always at their offices. I told them they should come to me, they baulked and said 'no we don't do that' and I showed them where it says in their own literature and they then took advice from thier superiors and finally came to me. But only because I had beaten them with their own written rules etc. This is what I would like here, to know exactly what my position is without having to go over every timy detail to someone who has got no clue what it is like to live with an AS child and his traumatised brothers.