smiley

Anyone help with figuring out this lot???

Hiya :D

I've just been given (been asking for this for ages :angry: ) this -

Could someone help me figure out from this how he's doing???

What's the 'average' for a 7YR old nearing the end of YR2??????

:unsure:

At the end of Reception year -

*PSED; Dispositions and Attitudes - 6/ Social Development - 4/ Emotional Development - 4

*CLL; Reading - 8/ Writing - 4

*MD - Numbers as labels and for counting - 8/ Calculation - 7/ Shape Space Measures - 6

At the end of year 1 -

Maths - 1A

Reading - reading age of 6yrs 8months

Writing - 1C

Teacher assessment for end of KS1

Maths - 2B

Reading - reading age 8yrs (jan 06) / 2C as teacher assessment

Writing - 1A

:pray:

I think 2B is average for end of year 2 ,2c is just bellow average but ? how this fits with reading age of 8.1A is level for foundation stage.It looks as though he has made ok good progrss in reading and maths but has not done so wellin writing Karen

National average for the end of Y2 is 2b in the core subjects of english and maths

anything between a 1 and a 3 is considered normal at this stage as long as there is evidence of progress - ie. the levels have risen.

the numbers for reception are P scales and different from Y1 when the national curriculum levels are used.

it is usually expected that a child will move up 2 steps in a year eg from 1c to 1a or 2a to 3b, and 1 level in 2 years

although he may have a reading age of 8 on a different test this may not include comprehension at the same level as expected by the NC assessments and a lot of our kids are good at decoding but don't always get the meaning as easily

looks like your lad is just about on target :D

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

:notworthy: Thank you.

I'd be very surprised if he'd gone up a level in writing - he hasn't put pen to paper for a year now.... :blink:

*Just edited to say............ He's gone from 1C to 1A this year for writing?? How is that possible?? He hasn't written.. :blink:

Does it go 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B etc........... ??

It's probably perfectly obvious - to those who know! :wacko::wacko::D

Edited by smileymab

the numbers for reception are P scales and different from Y1 when the national curriculum levels are used.

it is usually expected that a child will move up 2 steps in a year eg from 1c to 1a or 2a to 3b, and 1 level in 2 years

Zemanski,

Are you telling me that my Year 2 ASD son, who has just got his KS1 Sats results and they were all scored on p scales - is still working at an age equivalent to Reception ? I had no idea thats what they meant. Thanks very much for that nugget of information, because I think that is just what I need to go and read the riot act with my MP.

Cheers:wine

Smilimab

If your child has got level 1s at the end of Year 1, that sounds like he is doing pretty much ok. He has got another year to get to Level 2 which is considered "average" at the end of Year 2. There weren't many in my son's class who got to Level 3. My ASD son got 2s by the end of Year 2 (with the help of a very good teacher that year).

He/she has done well. :thumbs:

Daisydot

Schools used to use 'W' meaning 'working towards level 1' but this meant there was no way to register progress statistically before a child reached level 1 and this was a major problem for keeping track of progress for kids with special needs (not so important for foundation stage as most kids reached level 1 in Y1) so 'Pivats' or 'p scales' were introduced a few years ago.

P scales go from 1 to 8 with one being the first level and give much smaller increments than NC levels so most children pass through them pretty rapidly. They allow for things like the difference between a child using early mark making and one purosefully forming shapes or pretend writing, or the difference between a child being able to speak in sentences and one who can hold a proper conversation - all important things for many SEN kids but assumed to be already developed in most children by reception or Y1.

Funny thing is, although parents are told all about NC levels, no one seems to bother to tell them about P scales - wonder why?

Z

SATS Levels

The levels of attainment

In primary schools children are measured against National Curriculum levels of attainment. These begin at W (working towards level 1), then rise through numbers 1 to 5. Each National Curriculum level can then be split into 3 sections: A, B and C (A being the highest)

In Key Stage 1 (infants)

By the time your child left the infants (at the end of year 2) he/she was expected to have attained mid level 2B

In Year 3

In Key Stage 2 (the juniors) the curriculum broadens extensively with much more being expected of your child if they are to attain the same grade as they did in Year 2. This "broadening" and "higher expectation" often leads to children appearing not to be making progress up the levels. This, in fact, is certainly not the case. This plateau-ing is well recognised in schools.

Year Groups 3 - 6

By the end of year 3 - National expectation: Level 2A or Level 3C

By the end of Year 4 - National expectation: Level 3B

By the end of Year 5 - National expectation: Level 3A

By the end of Year 6 - National expectation: Level 4

Smileymab: this means that a 7 year old nearing the end of Year 2 should be looking to attain the national average (expectation) of level 2B.

Edited by jomica

IN the back of DD7 book is a little chart

WBA=well below average

BA=below average

AV=average

AA=above average

WAA=well above average

RECEPTION

WBA=wc

BA=wb

AV=wa

AA=1c

WAA=1b+

year 1

WBA=wa

BA=1c

AV=1b

AA=1a/2c

WAA= 2b+

year2

1b

1a/2c

2b

2a/3c

3b+

year 3

1a

2b

2a/3c

3b/3a

4a+

year 4

2b

2a/3c

3b

3a/4c

4b+

year 5

3c

3b

3a/4c

4b

4a+

year 6

3b

3a/4c

4b

4a/5c

5b+

oops sorry - had read this but hadn't realised it was the same thing I was asking about when I posted my post today - I'd though PIVATS was a totally different scale that ran alongside sat scores.

Sorted now though :)

Thanks for explain what 'W' means. DD7 got that for writing in her SATS.

The LEA told me that she more then likely will keep her statement whils she's in junior school but if her speech has improved enough by the time she's secondary she may not need it.

If she's still unable to write by the time she leave's junior school, she WILL be KEEPING her statement!!!

keep it however much improvement she makes, the first three years of high school are extremely difficult for our kids and she will need that support for the transition at the very least!

plus without it you have no right to choose the school you want her to go to

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

Hi there, have been reading with interest and confusion as I am in Scotland. Does anyone know how our report figures work out. Anyone know what the expected levels are for P1,2,3 in scotland system? I've tried googling but am not getting very far :(

thanks

Lorraine

Sorry, the only thing I do know is the year group names

Reception - P1

Y1 - P2 etc

Zemanski

thanks that will help me compare some stuff at least ill know what age group yr im looking at now :) I presumed YR2 =P2 before now ..oops

thanks

Lorraine