PinkSapphireAngel

Luke's assessment with clinical psychologist today

It was very intense.

The psychologist seemed nice and Luke behaved very well.

She asked loads of questions of course and Luke was very honest about his self harming, how sad he feels etc.

She asked him about family and he said he was closest to me and that Daniel was closest to him, Charlie was closest to me and so was daddy (hmmmm didn't feel that way today)

I was quite touched to hear him say I was closest to him, he also said he felt he was most like me because we both are caring (these were all answers to questions she asked)

She talked a lot about autism and said she feels Luke needs to learn and understand more about his autism,

I found that quite hard in a way as I have tried to tell him a bit about it but at the same time wanted to protect him from it (if that makes sense)

She wants to give him treatment, part of that will be working on making a book about what autism is and how it affects him.

She also wants to work with me on my feelings and coping stratergies

Hi PSA,

It sounds like the appointment went well. A went through a period of self harming whilst he was in school and understanding his autism and accepting it was one of the things that helped to lessen the occasions when it happened. A has recently written a piece of work for English about his understanding of his autism and how it affects his life. I found it quite moving and also very informative. It is quite unusual for him to express things like this but he felt that it helped to clarify his thoughts. Hopefully, Like will benefit as well.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> to you both.

Edited by Tez

Hi Helen - glad she was able to suggest some helpful things for you both. Do you feel it went well?

It was weird I actually felt quite drained afterwards.

I think the fact they agree Luke needs treatment and feel they can help has to be a good thing, I just hope we do not have to wait too long for it, she said the wait is about 3 or 4 months but I think I might give it a couple of weeks and ring her as she suggested and see if it speeds things up.

Glad the app went well, will Luke write about his autism?? I ask this because Keegan will not even discuss it, he does not like to hear about it and we can't really discuss things unless he is in the mood which is very rarely....

Luke does not really understand what his autism is I don't think (feel guilty about that, maybe I have not taught him enough about it, but I have always worried about telling him more than he can deal with and also school etc have always gone on aobut not making him feel "different")

He might write about what he feels he has difficulties with but some of the things he struggles with he does not even realise he struggles with if you know what I mean?

Has he read anything himself? I gave my ds a few books like the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime and then discussed (as best as you can discuss a book with him lol) the book in relation to himself. Hope it doesn't take too long.