Sign in to follow this  
krystaltps

Finally....

We were finally told today about Callum's results from his batch of assessments - he does have AS. You know, it's funny - I've been so certain he has Aspergers, but to actually hear it confirmed.... it's a mix of emotions. I'm relieved - it's not my fault, it's not his fault - he can be told that the way he is isn't because he's a bad boy (that's what he thinks). But I'm also gutted for him. It came out in the assessment just how much he has learned to compensate for his difficulties - all his wee coping strategies, and it's driven home how much of a battle each day must be for him. I'm so proud of my boy...... >:D<<'>, so very very proud.

Hugs to you and yours.

Remember it takes time to sink in. We suspected the diagnosis before it happened but the reality of it is a long time coming.

Be prepared for people who should know better to doubt the verdict. Our official diagnosis is a bit woolly because ds is so young but SALT, ourselves and the registrar all know what it means. Shame we have such trouble with the GP and the headteacher at the school he is going to who don't understand the concept of a spectrum.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

coming to terms with diagnosis can be a long process...I've always known my dd1 was different and as she's gotten older it is far more obvious. Try not to overwhelm yourself...My dd1 still doesn't have a label as such but she is on the spectrum of that there is no doubt, pysch says it's not As because she had language delay.

Take care

Yes the actual diagnosis can come as a shock, even if you think you know what they are going to say.

I was so desperate for them to diagnose my son with anything other then autism ... I was clinging to the hope it was just a communication disorder or a developmental delay of some kind. I went to pieces during the assessment meeting when they said what it was.

A year down the line - and it takes a long time to come to terms with it ... you realise that your son is the same son he always was and that the diagnosis gives you the tools to help him on his path through life.

At least you know and can act accordingly. Move forwards, don't look back.

Hugs,

Hi read your post and got a bit teary you managed to describe the same experiences and feelings I have had much better than I could.Ben had so many little ways of coping that virtually everybody including myself were shocked to find how difficult he must find some things.Even now I get comments from people who know us well such as 'but Ben is so intelligent and talks so articulately' not to mention people who look like they think I have gone peculiar when I mention speach therapy.Take care >:D<<'> :D Karen

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> hugs to you and Callum. It's not easy to take in the dx at first, but it will be of great help to get the support that your son needs.

Take care

Curra

Thanks all for your support and your hugs, and your experiences >:D<<'>. I went through a similar experience when my younger son was dx with epilepsy caused by a malformation of his cortex - I took it on the chin, didn't seem shocked, thought about it for about a month.... then it hit like a ton of bricks. Then I became aware that it was a good thing to have the dx, because he had all the meds and alarms and safety measures put in place, and we could finally get a night's sleep. I think it'll be the same this time. My boy is still the same boy he always was, but at least now he'll get all the help and support he needs.... and I wont have have to the same battles with his school! Bless him, tonight he told me he was going to start practising not walking on tip-toes - when I asked why, he said a boy had laughed at him at school today because of it. Another example of him trying so hard to fit in... I'm surprised he bothers because that was after being kneed in the face and having a nose-bleed. He's braver than anyone I know. HUgs back to you all >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

krystaltips,

It is a strange time, just after dx - so many thoughts and emotions.

Take care of yourself >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

K x