Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Travelling Long Distances

My 5 Year old HFA son hates travelling long distances in the car. Especially motorways.

I am off up to my Mums in Licolnshire (without my husband), and he doesn't want to go because it is such a long drive and is already building up anxiety over it even though it is weeks away.

I could possibly travel at night, that is an option, although my other son probably wouldn't like that.

We have DVD players in the car and he has books and plenty to occupy him and we play games etc etc so I am ok on the entertainment front. He gets bored of just sitting there. Reward charts sometimes work but not always.

It's just me that gets annoyed listening to the constant "mummy, stop this car right now!", "mummy, it's taking too long" etc etc, it really spoils the journey. I end up at my Mums in a right state ... totally stressed ... and I am supposed to be there to get away from the stress of home!

I can negotiate with him in terms of stopping at Little Chefs or McDonalds on the way, but you can only do that so many times.

Other than some of those drugs they used to give to Mr T in the A Team to get him in an aeroplane, I can't think of anything to ease his anxiety.

Is this a common thing?

Hi Stephanie,

Same here - my daughter doesn't 'cope' to say the least on long journeys - we've tried it all - dvd player, colouring books, books to read, gameboy, although when she was younger a personal cd/tape player with her favourite stories on were a hit (Horrid Henry she particularly liked and then of course moved onto Lemony Snickett and Harry Potter as she got older). Now she takes her DS and we play boy. girl, fruit, flower - although that only satisfies small periods of time before it all starts up.

Can't offer any other advice - sorry.

Take care,

Jb

Hi Stephanie

I found that with four homegrown children and usually two or three foster children the best way to travel was at night. We too had all the DVD/video players, books, leappads and gameboys it was still hardwork travlling during the day. During half term we went to the Isle of Wight and I booked the 6am ferry which was considerably cheaper than the later ones and it was a fab journey the kids slept all the way and I had peace and quiet.

Hi,

Kai is a pain on long journeys too. Thankfully though it's just me and him so i put up with the whining. I have to stop quite often, so it takes ages to get there.

I have tried travelling at night when we go up to Wales each year, but he never sleeps so i gave up!

Last year he got really into counting Eddie Stobart lorries, which kept him occupied for most of the way!

Sorry I don't have any suggestions (sounds like you've tried them all!),

Loulou x

hi

we take stuart for a drive round most sundays sometimes 200 miles plus so he is getting used to it but he does complain sometimes so we find things to keep him busy like looking for aeroplanes if on the m25 or fast cars or wind turbines,wind mills just something theres plenty of.

its just very stressfull in a confined space i feel for you sorry no sound advice but whaever works and all that for you realy or not as the case may be sometimes very little advice can be given because these kids r so different to each other

hope all goes well and you enjoy your time away we go to wales next weekend but the kids r going to grannys for the weekend the first ever time away without them

bye for now paul

Please don,t think this is an off the wall suggestion.........but we use a walkman........he listens to books on tape or music..........a pillow and his bedding, sunglasses or an eye mask.......so he shuts his eyes and zones out.We have also used a very visual clock.........so he can see if necessary when our next designated stop will be and how the time is passing in general.........then I don,t get bombarded with ..........how much longer etc.........a 24 hr clock works better for us then I can just tell him a number.

:D i hate long journeys too, and i got into counting eddie stobart lorries when i was a bit younger!! (im 18 now) i am dreading my flight to new zealand cos as well as having AS (was lower functioning as a child) i have ADHD. im gonna go craaaaazyy!!!

HELP!!