jlp

Could anyone help with these scores?

I have a school review coming up and am really hoping that they will agree to apply for a statement. This is going to be difficult as the asd teacher who liases with school about G is adament he doesn't need one and any support he needs will be provided by the asd liasion team. He currently gets 2 afternoons a week but this will increase to hopefully 3 mornings in September (problems expected as he'll be moving into a larger class from 17 to 30 children (it will be mixed Y1 and Y2)

G is 6 and has AS.

I'm hoping someone can make some sense of his scores - I've googled PIVATs but can't see anything saying what the scores mean.

Reception Baseline Assessment 11/04

Maths 60

Reading 57

Phonics 49

Total 57

Reception 7/05 PIPs

Maths 50

Reading 51

Does this mean he actually went down ability wise in reception?

Y1 11/05 PIVATS

English:

Speaking and listening Comprehension 1A

Speaking and listening Expression 1C

Reading 1A

Writing P6

Maths:

Using and applying maths 1

Number 1A

Space, Shape and Measures 1C

Personal and Social Development:

Working with others: PSD4

Independent and Organisational Skills PSD4

Attention PSD4

If I knew how they were graded so to speak I'd have a better idea of where he is and if he's making any progess. He changed schools in January at the reccomendation of the ASD liasion teacher after being excluded (aged 5) for kicking his teacher. She felt they were viewing him in a negative way.

I'd be really grateful if anyone can deciper the above scores!

He had an assessment at 4 by the Ed Psych and had some really good scores (99th centile) so I know he is bright but am concerned he isn't making much progress.

Edited by jlp

Ok, I haven't taught for 4 years so things may have changed, but his scores (nov 05) halfway trough year one seem fine to me. You would expect level 1 average, some are sub graded A-C, 1A is nearly a 2 and in the yr2 sats a 2 was average! Do these good levels in English reflect what you see from your son? Of course I don't know about ED Phyc score (not had that) it may be your son potentially could have achieved more if you say he is very able? but generally he is achieving a good average +.

Now a more up-to-date teacher can tell me it's all changed!!! :lol:

(also no experience of baseline assessments so can't say if he is making the progress you expected!)

Thank you for replying - is the expected level 1 in Y1 SATs though not PIVATS or are they and PIVATs using the same scale?

I can guess a P6 is not great given that he is not keen on writing at all and it's pretty much illegible? And 'PSD' for social and personal development? I'd guess that's somewhere way below where he should be?

Sorry if I'm being thick but it's all really really confusing - I just about understand SATs levels, but not sure if PIVATs is the same!

Edited for my own spelling!

Edited by jlp

I'd agree, his Y1 scores are well into the average for his core subjects but probably not quite the level I would expect for a child with such high ability unless he has an uneven profile - you say that some of his scores are in the 99th centile, are any of his scores much lower? - this will have an impact on acheivement, Dot has verbal scores in the 99th centile but her phonemic awareness is in the 12th so her language on paper is just around average even though the school treat her as G&T, this is understandable for a child with severe dyslexia. This means that school does support her well even though she's acheiving average+ but then her senco is wonderful.

The pivats scores are not comparable to NC levels.

We used to use W meaning working towards NC level 1 but P scales were introduced to give greater definition to the scores of children at foundation stage and with learning difficulties.

They start at P1 and the highest is P8, the next score is then level 1c, so yes his writing is below average as you expect but this is not particularly unusual for Y1, Com didn't get beyond W till he was at the end of Y2 but then got a 2 in his SATs, this was mainly because of his difficulty with making mistakes and refusal to cooperate with writig tasks

I don't know what the PSD scores mean, if they are lower than average this does imply he should be getting support regardless of his acheivement

Edited by Zemanski

Thank you that's really helpful - am I understanding you correctly in that the P scores actually indicate below the national curriculum level 1 - so when there's a '1' with no P in front thats actually a NC score? So in some aspects he is achieving fine?

His ed psych report did have some lower areas but not drastically - one was on the 75th centile but off hand I can't recall which.

I think the problem is actually getting him to do some work, esp independantly!

DD7 has a planner, which her school gave me.

On a page at the back of the book it says "how the national curriculum levels build up.'

Goes from reception to year 6.

As your son is Y1. will use the scores for that year.

WBA is well below average

BA is below average

AV average

AA above average

WAA well above average

WBA FOR Y1 is wa

BA "" 1c

AV ""1b

AA ""1a/2c

WAA ""2b

You got it, jlp - from now on you will just see the numbers representing NC levels, they only put the P in so you know it is a pre-NC or P scale score.

a mismatch of 25 centiles in something like spelling (which was where Com's mismatch was) can hold acheivement back - for Com it caused a lot of frustration that he couldn't spell as well as he wanted to and so his work was never perfect enough for him and he wouldn't write. We solved it by stopping all marking and then in Y3 introducing positive marking only, he still has problems with any criticism, however constructive and he's 14 now.

Zemanski

Thank you!

Col that's great I've been googling all morning to find something like that with no success!

And Zemanski - thank you too, I can't find an lightbulb smilie but I'm having a lightbulb moment, it finally makes sense!

Edited to add we have perfection issues too, if he doesn't think he can do it perfectly he won't try - I turn a blind eye these days to backward letters and numbers - having had many a pencil and rubber thrown at me when I gently suggest 'maybe...'!

Edited by jlp

Com has 'marked sensitivity to failure' all over his reports from a very early age.

We used to say:

'if at first you don't succeed, never, ever even think about trying it again!' :lol:

makes life very difficult sometimes, doesn't it?

Z

'if at first you don't succeed, never, ever even think about trying it again!' :lol:

That has made me laugh out loud - sums it up so well :lol: