jools

ta support

G is in yr 4, going into yr 5 in september.

he has been on SA+ for over 1yr.

he got a dx of asd a few weeks ago

he receives no TA support in class.

he does get 10 mins each day handwriting practice (with me, in school)

and 1/2 hr once a week with ta to do spellings and the like with 2 dyslexic children (he is not dyslexic and needs are far different to these children)

we are in the process of applying for a statement and have the backing of the asd outreach worker for this.

she wants to see some support to set him off on a atask, ensuring he understands etc, then to be available at the end of a task to help him. she doesn't want him 'babysat' which i agreee with.

my question is.........is it unreasonable to ask the school to put in some sort of ta support now without a statement?

if he is on SA+, and it is recognised that he needs support, can't he be given some support now.

do the school receive funding for SA+ and if so is it usually worth much?

Edited by jools

Hi

Ds#1 (6 with AS) has been getting 2 afternoons a week with a TA and come September will be getting 5 mornings instead. He hasn't got a statement.

This isn't through the school but from the autism liasion team - is there an autism worker who works with the school to help them with your son, ours put things such as visual timetables in place and tell the teacher how to deal with specific situations.

HTH

School may not get a lot of money for SA and SA+.However you need to voice your concerns and ask for the help you want.If you apply for a stat assessment the LEA will ask the school to document what they have done already using the resources they have.They will want to know how that is appropriate for your chid's needs.If they consider enough has not been done or support has not been relevant -they may turn down the request.It is worth looking at the code of practice and SEN TOOLKIT for more guidance.These can be downloaded.He needs an IEP that includes strategies/support that is appropriate for needs due to ASD.The ASD outreach worker can advise the school on what to do at School action+ and these should be included in the IEP.I would ask to meat with SENCO to review provision in view of Dx ASD.Don't worry about what is reasonable-at the very least if school say they do not have funding for increased support you will be able to document that you asked.Hope this helps.Karen.

Karen is spot on. His new DX and therefore identified, needs should (must) be taken into account by them. A review is called for, ideally before the end of term in order to get things in place for the start of the new term. That said, this close to the end of term that might not be easy. I'd advise a formal, but informal (if you can see what I mean) writen request is sent in for this to be arranged asap...but be prepared for them to say not until the new term. If they do I'd agree to it but insist on a time and date being set up NOW, not then...diaries fill up very quickly. If they can fit it in before the end of term, excellent.

My son is on SA+ currently and gets full-time one-to-one support. He is in the process of being statemented just waiting the final version but his teacher said he would stil have got this amount of support regardless as it's what he needs. I know we are exceptionally fortunate in having a school that is willing to provide support based upon my son's needs but in an ideal world that is what all schools should be providing especially as the SEN budget is now partly devolved to schools for this purpose.

It is not unreasonable to expect your school to put some support in now especially as it sounds like your son has needs that need addressing

Lx

Dear Liz how I wish all areas provided SEN provision at the level your son gets without parents having to battle and push.Good job you can't name the area you live in.....we would be moving your way in droves. :D:D:D There again what would we do with all the spare time :D:D .Karen

G is in yr 4, going into yr 5 in september.

he has been on SA+ for over 1yr.

he got a dx of asd a few weeks ago

he receives no TA support in class.

he does get 10 mins each day handwriting practice (with me, in school)

and 1/2 hr once a week with ta to do spellings and the like with 2 dyslexic children (he is not dyslexic and needs are far different to these children)

we are in the process of applying for a statement and have the backing of the asd outreach worker for this.

she wants to see some support to set him off on a atask, ensuring he understands etc, then to be available at the end of a task to help him. she doesn't want him 'babysat' which i agreee with.

my question is.........is it unreasonable to ask the school to put in some sort of ta support now without a statement?

if he is on SA+, and it is recognised that he needs support, can't he be given some support now.

do the school receive funding for SA+ and if so is it usually worth much?

Hiya

No it isnt unreasonable, this what they should be doing now and they will know this. Every school gets given a budget for SEN but will probably give the reason they dont have funds. This however is not your problem it is theirs.

We were in the same situation and the area manager for education went into our school and basically gave them a ticking off.

As said above they need to be putting these measures in place or a statement maybe turned down as they havnt done enough. Start pushing them and get some answers.

Good luck

xx

Edited by trance

Jools,

As of September when my son starts secondary school he will have a TA for his whole school day (he will only be there until 1.10pm) and he doesn't have a statement... so YES it can be done.

Lauren

My son SA+ (waiting for outcome of Stat assess) has had a TA 1:1 since January this year. The school agreed he needed to be treated as if he had an ASD even befor diagnosis and provided a TA. Unfortunately he was being very difficult and got through several befor the current one started in May- who has really helped him remain in school.

It is possible if the school really wants to help.

Even though no outcome yet of stat assess the TA is going up to year 5 with him.

Keep pushing the school!

Good luck

AV

my asd,adhd son gets 10 hous a week in morings and he has no statement this is because the school wernt coping with his behaviour .to stay in the school he had to have ritalin. now in afternoons he is difficult when he has no support and ritalin wears off. we got support after ed psych who has say in lea funding took his case on and supported the idea. he made the recommendations. will need statement eventually though its just when.